Control surface/audio interface combo

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 25, 2005
My Delta 1010 finally shitted out on me after about 6 or 7 years. Has anyone had any experience using a combination control surface/audio interface? For example Roland SI24, Yamaha 01X, Alesis Mastercontrol, etc. They all have automated faders/assignable knobs and built in audio and midi interface. Are motorized faders prone to breakage?

I'm using an analog Mackie 1402 Vlz pro with cubase SE right now. Do yall recommend switching up to the combo or sticking with separate components?

Thanks in advance for advice.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
you can get a deal on those tascam interface/control surfaces in the used market. i heard they havn't releaed stable drivers for newer operating systems so i hope you have a legacy OS. I saw an FW 1884 for 500 bucks on craigslist but got a new interface since i was scared of compatibility issues. They are built like tanks though, we had the 1082s at my recording school, they worked well with logic 7

Sep 25, 2005
I'm gonna peep it out first. Haven't had time to do much research yet but anyways runnin XP so compatibility shouldn't be much of an issue. Keep ya posted. Anyone used these with FL?? I use that for most of my sequencing then bump it to cubase for mixing.

Sep 25, 2005
Think I'm gonna go with the alesis master control. It's 900 bucks and right now comes with a rebate for a free pair of M1 active 520 powered monitors. I don't really need the monit;ors now but I'm thinking about getting into 5.1 mixing eventually so they'll be good to have around.

It's weird most of the combo units didn't survive long on the market - the yamaha and tascams are discontinued. The alesis seems to have good support for a wide range of daws so it should be coo. Hope the firewire doesn't end up having latency problems compared to the 1010.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
i heard the drivers on that alesis board are really bad and havn't been updated in some time. I was advised from my sweetwater rep not to fuck with it. If you hve an older computer you might be alright though.