Cakewalk Sonar 8.5

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I wish Sonar worked on a mac without Bootcamp, its way tighter and easier to use than Logic which has proven to be a royal pain ing the ass to learn for me.

Apr 26, 2006
I wish Sonar worked on a mac without Bootcamp, its way tighter and easier to use than Logic which has proven to be a royal pain ing the ass to learn for me.
How does it compare to FL Studio, if you know? The workflow mainly.

That Step Sequencer in Sonar looks so similiar to the one in FL Studio, but more powerful. Also that Matrix View seems similiar to how you arrange patterns in FL Studio. :cool:

That new Audio Snap 2.0 looks awesome as well. Like that Flex tool in Logic. I think Sonar one upped it though.

B-San

Sicc OG
Apr 7, 2006
I'm glad this thread was made - thanks to Re-Wire you can slave Fruity Loops so that you can use it with Sonar simultaneously... If your computer can handle it, you can have Reason, Ableton Live & Fruity Loops slaved to Sonar all at the same time... Plus when you render audio, Sonar has a fast bounce option so you don't have to bounce audio in real time (unlike Pro Tools).... then you can mix your newly- created wav files using top-notch 3rd party DSP powered plugins like UAD, SSL Duende, TC Powercore - thanks to Sonar's Plugin Delay Compensation (another feature lacking in non-HD Pro Tools systems)... and if you have a semi decent computer, you can run a gang of native plugins as well (such as Waves, SounToys, Softtube ect), assembled in any order with DSP powered plugins (something even ProTools HD is unable to accomplish in a seamless fashion)... Plus you can insert hardware like a plugin - and still have the timing of everything in the mix intact...

I have mixed on ProTools HD and run LE on an older Mac. It's a great program but the politics of intentionally crippling their software and other business practices makes me wish I wouldn't even need an M-Box lol... at this point the only things I find to be slightly better in ProTools is the way it handles automation and routing... but that has never stopped me from getting to where I need to go lol...

Simply put, Sonar is headed in the right direction. It's good that there are programs out there that I feel out-perform the 'industry-standard' in many ways... because there should not be a standard when it comes to the art of music...

We need all music-related software to remain competitive beause that is what breeds innovation!!

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
I use sonar and have been since 2005 and I love the program. It has some stability issues but after that its a pretty damn good piece of software. What I like about 8.5 is it seems to me that Cakewalk is addressing their stability issues by taking their time w/ version 8 before jumping onto a new release but since Sonar users wanted a new version out they made 8.5 that gave new features but didn't force them to make a whole new program.