Best Bang for your Buck Studio Set Up

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 1, 2004
My homeboy is settin up a studio in a spare bedroom. What would be the best bang for his buck set up should he get? Im not sure what all he needs. A checklist and brand names would be dope. Thank n advance.

Oct 9, 2004
GO TO WWW.AMERICANMUSICAL.COM THEY GOT GEAR THERE FOR CHEAP THEY ACCEPT PAYMENTS TOO.

ALL U REALLY NEED IS A MIXER, KEYBOARD, MIC /W MIC STAND AND POPPER STOPPER, A GOOD CPU WITH SOFTWARE LIKE ACID PRO OR FRUITY LOOPS. GO TO RADIO SHACK ABOUT THE WIRING THEY SHOULD TELL U WHAT WIRES U NEED.

OR U CAN JUST GO WITH A KAROAKE MACHINE.

Oct 20, 2008
My homeboy is settin up a studio in a spare bedroom. What would be the best bang for his buck set up should he get? Im not sure what all he needs. A checklist and brand names would be dope. Thank n advance.
You need a strong pc w/ 4 gig of ram, I prefer intel over amd(get a dell vostros w/ 2 hard drives)
good mic and good preamp (the FMR RNP is pretty clean, if you want to save some cash get a art mpa gold and swap the tubes in it later on. For the mic you can't go wrong with a sm7b or sm57)
interface(tascam, emu both have good reviews)
software(adobe audition is cool, reason 4 for beats)< its what I use
There is also some freeware like audacity to get you started or reaper is pretty cheap. A lot of people will say fruity loops is sub par. Really with software it is what you prefer and what works better for you.

Really there is a lot of ways to go with this. You can get some decent recordings with this equipment though.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
if you are just making beats and recording vocals you can probably get away with a decent computer a small audio interface w and a midi keyboard w reason or FL. I've been rolling with that and an old ass dell from 2003 thats hella outdated, my reason beats are somtimes too much for it to handle if i have too many combinator racks and effects rockin.

if you are trying to record bands and running cpu intensive plugins you'll need a larger interface a beefier computer with some good ddr3 ram

how much money is in your budget? And what are you trying to do?

I'm looking at the Dell studio with that new intel i7 hyperthreaded quad core processor, that thing is a beast and should keep me cozy for no matter what i plan on doing running protools mpowered 8 with a M-audio project mix i/o. get yourself a focusrite octopre or another 8 track pre with ADAT support you have a fully functional 16 track studio. I saw a tascam 1884 for 500 bucks which is the same if not better than the project mix but i'd have to run a different DAW instead of protools they all do that same thing anyways

you'll also need some good studio monitors and preforably a sub to go with it, I have the mackie MR5s which are nice for a small project studio. it would be best to get a sub with those because they are already heavy on the low end, you wanna get a sub to cover the low end with those. KRK rockets, m audio BX series and Event TR series are all popular choices for around 400-500 a pair.

If your'e recording vocals you are gonna need at least one mic. Best choice for vocals is a large diaphram condenser a favorite choice of mine is a Rode NTK which is a vaccum tube condenser which sounds pretty awsome for like 500 bucks. Rode makes the best bang for your buck microphones period IMO. If you can find one a company called Aphex makes very solid clones of a Neumann U-87 and for around 200 bucks. If you can find them, i heard they were discontinued

check Ebay, gear orphanage and craigslist. theres always a good deal to be found on the used market if you know what you are looking for

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
You need a strong pc w/ 4 gig of ram, I prefer intel over amd(get a dell vostros w/ 2 hard drives)
good mic and good preamp (the FMR RNP is pretty clean, if you want to save some cash get a art mpa gold and swap the tubes in it later on. For the mic you can't go wrong with a sm7b or sm57)
interface(tascam, emu both have good reviews)
software(adobe audition is cool, reason 4 for beats)< its what I use
There is also some freeware like audacity to get you started or reaper is pretty cheap. A lot of people will say fruity loops is sub par. Really with software it is what you prefer and what works better for you.

Really there is a lot of ways to go with this. You can get some decent recordings with this equipment though.
Yea, I have to agree with you here Meltamic. I'm a MAC man myself, but anything will work...it all depends on preference. As far as software, it works only as good as the person running it. I've heard the SHITTIEST beats from Fruity Loops, and I've heard some of the DOPEST beats from Fruity Loops...same with Reason...it all depends on the person using it and what kind of sounds that person has at his/her disposal.

I personally fuck with an iMac (flat panel) with 2 Gigs of ram (MINIMUM...I need more to make it run a bit smoother..so I'll agree with your 4 gig statement). Logic Pro 8, Pro Tools LE (Which I RARELY use because pro-tools is overrated as fuck unless you have about 10 racks to throw on it), and Reason. SM57 was the mic I was using before, shit came out nice...but it wasn't what I needed for the shit I was dropping (I have a deep ass voice, so I needed a mic that would capture ALL of it).

All in all, your boy needs only a couple G's worth of shit to make some nice sounding recordings.

Sydal

Sicc OG
Apr 25, 2002
www.idealsentertainment.com
I have an MXL V69 Mogami Edition, sE Electronics SERF Reflexion Filter 3.5 (because my room is untreated...and it makes vocals sound BEAUTIFUL), MBox 2 Mini as the interface, Logic Pro 8 for pre-production, recording, and post-production...that's about all I have right now...and it all works just fine.