BASS vsti's

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

infinity

( o )( o )
May 4, 2005
UOENO, CA
i know theres lots of threads for vsti's but i searched and couldnt find anything specifically related to bass

i have a lot of vsti's but 95% of the bass presets are pretty weak

im looking for the best of the best. i want those classic gangster ass basses

where are you finding those sounds?

any help is appreciated

Apr 26, 2006
Minimonsta VSTi is good for synth bass. Basically it emulates that classic moog sound. V-Station & Bass-Station are also nice for synth bass. Ultra Analog VSTi is nice also. Sylenth1 is also very good, but the factory presets are more built for Trance type music, but with tweaking you can get some nice solid synth bass for that classic gangster shit. Surge VSTi is also good. Vanguard too, but it's a bit more for trance preset wise as well.

For synth bass, all those VSTs are great. They offer alot of presets to fuck with as well. Download them all. Trust me on this one you won't be disapointed. Their top notch vst synths.

For more acoustic/electric bass style of bass sound. I suggest more sampled based plugins. Plugins like Trilogy (haven't used yet, but it gets a lot of praise) & Hypersonic2 (I like it). There's also plugins that use like a combination of both samples and synthesis, like Morphine. I also like the freeware 4Front Bass Module vsti that sounds nice when played on lower octaves. There's also synths that use physical modeling synthesis that can sound highly real, like String Studio.

To bring some life or change the tone of some of your bass sounds you can also try Bass amp vsts. I really like Studio Devil Virtual Bass Amp. Compression as well.

Take a listen to this beat I just made a few days ago. I used Sylenth1 VSTi for the bass. No FX, nothing extra, other than than some slight compression & limiter on the master. Basically it's a deep moog style bass synth. Not sure what your after exactly, but I'm guessing something similiar to this shit. Pretty much anything is possible with those synths I mentioned. From deep low bass, buzzy, watery squelchy,etc... You just gotta fuck around and tweak shit, but the presets are pretty good to start with. Sometimes it can be as easy as playing something on a lil higher octave or lower (try it all when testing the presets), or lower/higher the cutoff/res on the filter. Gotta choose the right kick too, to go along with the bass. If their fighting for frequency, they might phase out or distort.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/5354447369003aab/

Apr 26, 2006
Apr 26, 2006
ay booboo what are you using for your synth leads?
Pretty much those same VSTi synths I mentioned. A few others also, but all those will do the job. Monophonic Synth basses and synth leads go hand in hand, it's easy to make one out of the other. I make leads out of synth bass patches a lot too when I want to focus on making my own and vice versa. It's just subtractive synthesis. I say it gets a bit more complicated when your trying to make or look for good Pads because their polyphonic. I personally rely a lot more on presets when it comes to Pads and just do some minor editing to adjust to my likings. To make some nice unique pads, it takes some good synth editing skills I would say that's beyond my scope of understanding.

Apr 26, 2006
Dope shit man...really feelin this one.
Thanks man. Yeah, I kind of surprised myself on that one. I'm not one to feel very happy about my beats, but this one, I don't think I would change anything. It's so chill.

I don't know if you like Trance or Electronic music in general, but I made a Trance remix of this Triphop song if you wish to hear.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/52149003ad10ad93/

I like a lot of different genres.

Apr 25, 2002
Good shit..I like different genres myself including electronic music. I do some of that aswell occasionally if Im in the mood. What are you using for your drums?

Apr 26, 2006
Good shit..I like different genres myself including electronic music. I do some of that aswell occasionally if Im in the mood. What are you using for your drums?
I just use different single shot samples for drums. Also a few loops. I used a drum loop on that last Trance song, you can hear the congo hits, that's from the loop. When it comes to samples, I really only use them for percussion. Everything else that makes up the melodies of the song, I prefer to play myself.