Another MPC-Style Device From NAMM

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Mar 17, 2006
This one is made by NI. I thought it was hardware that integrates with PC-based software for it, but the more I look at it, I don't think it can be used standalone at all, whihc really just makes it a fancy midi controller that integrates so well that it SEEMS like hardware (if that makes sense).

Anyway, watching the videos, the workflow looks pretty sick. Tons of videos and images on the NI site:

http://www.native-instruments.com/newreleases/#/en/products/producer/maschine/videos/?content=101

I like this one, seems to have a lot of potential.

Also, I think there's a couple of Ableton Live users on here, are any of you going to be upgrading to 8. I was fairly impressed with the new features, I may have to do a 6 to 8 upgrade soon...

STRATEGY

Jun 2, 2002
www.myspace.com
This product looks really nice. Considering it has a library of thousands of sounds and kits, it doesn't just seem like a fancy controller. It looks like NI is trying to cash in and expand to both markets, some would say NI dominates the VST Industry, they are known for their giant, high quality libraries that come with their plug-ins, and well, Battery, Kontakt, these plug-ins changed the game so, always got love for NI.

What will define this unit is the price tag, because it's a great unit.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
for someone with a solid computer set up this thing would be pretty sweet depending on how rugged the hardware is. those pads remind me of the pad control, for NIs sake i hope their pads feel better than those

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
i watched all the videos and the integration looks like its on point, now if you can slave it to your favorite DAW track by track and youd definatly be in business

the hardware looks likda cheap though like a midi controller like a trigger finger or a piece like that

Apr 26, 2006
Honestly, I don't think it's worth it. To me it's just a midi controller and integraded software to make it more visual. The only unique thing to me is the sequencer built into the software. NI did their own thing right there with that sequencer, looks pretty nice, but nothing out of this world that other sequencers can't do. This ain't nothing you can build yourself with proper organization, a solid controller, and good software like Battery, GURU,etc... to go along. This shit ain't no MPC.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
well its basically the same idea as an MPC if you already have an interface maybe even better. I'd have to compare the sound you get off using both methods.

MPCs are great for people who already have alot of outboard sound modules and alot of sounds at their disposal. This looks like a good software solution that is if the hardware is built as ruggedly as an MPC which i doubt, it will still do the trick though. Just because someone is on a computer type setup they shouldnt have to sacrifice quality of gear when it comes to controllers and stuff like that

Mar 17, 2006
it does run standalone
It doesn't run standalone in the hardware sense, it needs a computer attached to work.

It does run standalone in the sense that it doesn't need to run as a plug-in in a DAW.

I think the distiction is worth mentioning here, since they seem to be positioning it as hardware the way its presented, even though they don't explicitly say that.

By the way guys, MOTO is also offering as similar product called BPM, with a huge library of drum sounds (15GB):

http://www.motu.com/products/software/BPM

This one does not have a proprietary controller, they recommend you wire it to an MPD32, but ti seems to have really nice controller integration too.

In the end these are more like GURU on steroids, I suppose.

STRATEGY

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
i actually think NIs meschine is a pretty cool concept. I wonder if the hardware prevents the software from hogging up DSP on your comp kind of like the muse racks, liquid mix and UAD 1 packs?

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
^yeah i'm sure you can use it as a midi controller but not much else. the thing doesn't have an internal hard drive or anything like that or any audio ins and outs.

i think id still rather have an MPC but i still think its pretty cool, the way my setup is currently this rig would probably do me alot of good. the sounds and effects are gonna be better than using reason NI makes some really clean soft synths and effects plug ins. the integration of that set up looks real smooth

Apr 25, 2002
The MASCHINE hardware is both instrument and controller in one. Sixteen illuminated, velocity-sensitive pads form an interface to intuitively make beats, tweak sounds, create patterns and sequence whole songs with the powerful MASCHINE software. Two large, high-resolution displays with eight corresponding rotary encoders, buttons, and transport controls integrate perfectly with the MASCHINE software.
Sure sounds like the hardware is just a glorified controller to me, and not standalone.

Apr 26, 2006
It doesn't run standalone in the hardware sense, it needs a computer attached to work.

It does run standalone in the sense that it doesn't need to run as a plug-in in a DAW.

I think the distiction is worth mentioning here, since they seem to be positioning it as hardware the way its presented, even though they don't explicitly say that.

By the way guys, MOTO is also offering as similar product called BPM, with a huge library of drum sounds (15GB):

http://www.motu.com/products/software/BPM

This one does not have a proprietary controller, they recommend you wire it to an MPD32, but ti seems to have really nice controller integration too.

In the end these are more like GURU on steroids, I suppose.

STRATEGY

Damn I like the looks of that MOTU better. The interface is really nice. Of course you need to buy a controller though, but it's way cheaper than that NI setup. I guess it's like GURU on steriods.

I personally wouldn't get any of this stuff though. The step sequencer and pianoroll work just fine for me in FL Studio. Not to mention, I can use the FPC plugin that comes with FL to asign the 16pads to whatever controller I want, whether it be the pads on my Axiom49, an MPD or white or black keys. It's the same $hit except this is just a more visual organized way of making your beats for those DAWs that don't have it.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
i'm seriously considering getting this thing, the interface is built pretty solid as opposed to all of the ones that are out like the trigger finger and the lousy korg pad control i regretfully own. After watching all the videos on it, it seems like they did a great job making the unit run seamless with the software. I think the only way it could be topped is if someone made something like it with a built in audio interface with better pads