@ my fellow producers..

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Apr 26, 2006
Here's a pic of my Instrument plugins list from within FL Studio:

Here's my FX section:

That's most of them, but some of them are not even enabled, so they don't show up on these lists. There's just too many, some I'll never really use or understand fully. haha

Apr 25, 2002
That seems to be the trend with bedroom beat makers these days... Install tons of plugins and never learning how to use them, or what they're probably even used for. Less is more when you learn to take full advantage of the instruments and effects.

Sep 24, 2005
soundcloud.com
You need a good compressor and a good reverb and a semi powerful eq vst. Most of those fx are for special purposes, and the experimental fx are seldom used.

For synths I use sonik synth a lot and vaporsynth, reason takes care of a lot of things.

My favorite fx however is waves stomp series, i'm trying to find out how i can use it live..such a good fx thing for guitar.

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I'm a big advocate of saying you don't need a shit load of plugins to make good beats or make your shit sound good. If you know how to layer sounds, mix and use the plugins that come with most daws you should be good to go. I would like that mercury bundle though

B-San

Sicc OG
Apr 7, 2006
I like the DSP powered plugins such as the UAD, SSL Duende & TC Powercore...

The UAD makes some of the best emulations on the market...

The Channelstrip from the SSL Duende is more than an emulation, it actually uses the same algorithm from their C200 digital console...

The TC Powercore offers some of the best reverbs out there - such as the VSS3... I also like using the Sonnox plugins on the Powercore platform which like the SSL Duende's Channelstrip - are derived from the algorithm of Sony's digital console...

As far as native plugs go, I like SoundToys & Timeworx...

Having said all that, I still much prefer hardware & use plug-ins primarily for light cosmetics...

Apr 7, 2006
^ Nah Reason is cool... I like using it in Sonar via Re-Wire... to process/add FX I'll have each track bounced down to a wav & usually process it in the analog domain in Sonar

GHP

Sicc OG
Jul 21, 2002
I have logic and a bunch of other shit but i still use reason more than anything else i have because i'm most comfortable with it

Apr 26, 2006
That seems to be the trend with bedroom beat makers these days... Install tons of plugins and never learning how to use them, or what they're probably even used for. Less is more when you learn to take full advantage of the instruments and effects.
Well your right to some degree, but the fact is I have so many plugins is because I'm still looking for the ones I truely like and feel comfortable with. And by using so many, I HAVE found the ones I truely like most.

For example, I have all those WAVES plugins in there from the mercury bundle which so many people rave about, but I only really use the API ones. I probably only really use about 10 of those FX plugins on a consistent basis and a few others for special FX purposes.

The instruments are different to me, I like having alot because I feel I can cover a large array of PATCHES. By only using 2 or 5 synths, I can't cover a huge array of patches. I'm more of a preset user when it comes to synths, I pick a preset that sounds closest to what I want, then edit it to my liking. I like quick results. But to build up synth sounds from scratch, I don't do that much, I only have a few synths that I like to do it with and it can be time consuming. I think of it as one huge module. Sure I don't use them all and I have my favorite ones, but their still there for my grabbing and experimenting.

The problem I do have with using plugins is that I hardly uninstall the ones I don't use. I just leave them there and don't deselect them from the list. I'm also into making Electronic Dance Music, not just Hiphop beats. I make a lot of House and Trance beats, aside from my little Rap beats. Some synths I find are better for certain genres. Vanguard for one is certainly better for Electronic music and more geared for it, considering it's built in Arp and Gate units. Now a synth like Minimonsta can go both ways. It just depends, I tend to go more for monophonic synth sounds like your typical minimoog when it comes to Hiphop, and Electronica, a bit of everything.

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
I have logic and a bunch of other shit but i still use reason more than anything else i have because i'm most comfortable with it
why keep the other stuff then? i have a few hardware pieces and reason and a few vsts and i am wondering even to myself why have all of this gear when Reason can do it all and sound just as good doing it.

Apr 7, 2006
have you tried Record? I beta testd it and I think its dope. I just haven't taken the time to buy it
Nah... it lacks VST support right?

I like Sonar cuz I can use VSTi's + external sound modules in addition to Reason, Albleton Live & other apps which can be slaved via Re-Wire ...

Plus the biggest feature I need in an app is the integration of external inserts - so I can mix with hardware & plug-ins simultaneously...

Jun 9, 2005
www.kevwestbeats.com
Nah... it lacks VST support right?

I like Sonar cuz I can use VSTi's + external sound modules in addition to Reason, Albleton Live & other apps which can be slaved via Re-Wire ...

Plus the biggest feature I need in an app is the integration of external inserts - so I can mix with hardware & plug-ins simultaneously...
cool. it might not be for you. i think its the perfect app for someone who uses reason especially if its your main program doesnt sound like reason is your main thing its just part of your bigger picture

Mar 22, 2004
Does anyone actually buy legit plugins?
I have an Intel mac running Leopard so I had to buy everything now.
I have Vista installed too, but I just can't get myself to use Windows at all.
I actually get by nice with using the stock DIGI EQ's. Reverb, Delays and Compressors. I have the Waves Masters as well. The new Pro Tools 8 shit is clean and easy. I thought I'd want all the other shit, but I really don't find myself going for it anymore.