Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
I know that I've been posting the latest news on the Seahawks in that Seahawks 2009 Schedule thread, but I thought I'd make a new thread dedicating it to nothing but news on the Seahawks. So here it is.

The Seattle Seahawks have signed wide receiver Deon Butler to a multi-year deal, the team announced this morning.
Renton, Wash. – The Seattle Seahawks have signed wide receiver Deon Butler to a multi-year deal, the team announced this morning.

Butler was Seattle’s third round selection (91st overall) in this past April’s NFL Draft out of Penn State. Butler closed out his college career as the school’s all-time leader with 179 receptions, finished second with 2,771 receiving yards and third with 22 touchdowns.

Butler is the fifth Seahawks draft pick to sign with the club.

Butler was invited to the 2009 NFL Scouting Combine where he ran 4.38 in the 40-yard dash (fourth among wide receivers at the combine) and 11.32 in the 60-yard shuttle (third among wide receivers at the combine).

Feb 14, 2004
The Seahawks will keep only one kicker this season. But which one? Proven veteran Olindo Mare or promising second-year man Brandon Coutu?

The club will have a new snapper. But, again, which one? Local product Bryan Pittman or Kevin Houser, who was signed Thursday?

And who will return kickoffs and punts? Josh Wilson and Justin Forsett handled the duties last season, but what impact will just-signed rookie Deon Butler and his special speed have this season?

These are the questions facing club president Tim Ruskell, coach Jim Mora and special teams coach Bruce DeHaven as the Seahawks prepare for their first training camp practice next Friday.

There is a fluidity of frustration to constructing the special teams every summer, as roster cuts and injuries shape and reshape the units. But the Seahawks have issues – and decisions – that go beyond the norm.

The plan to replace departed kicker Josh Brown last summer was to sign a veteran (Mare) and also add a rookie (Coutu), and let them kick it out in training camp. But the competition between Mare and Coutu was so close that the team carried both – despite season-long injury problems that saw 14 starters miss a combined 88 games.

Mare was just too accurate on his field goals (24 of 27) and consistent on his kickoffs (22 touchbacks to tie for second in the league). Coutu just had too much potential to risk losing him if the club attempted to stash the rookie on the practice squad.

So, here the Seahawks are again – determined that one of them will win the job outright this time around.

Mare, 36 and entering his 14th season, skipped the voluntary minicamps and OTA sessions this spring, opting to workout on his own. Coutu, 24 and a seventh-round draft choice last year, was on hand for every practice, but has spent the past few weeks working with former NFL kicker Morten Andersen – with an emphasis on getting more depth and better height on his kickoffs.

“Kickoffs are the thing right now for him,” Andersen told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution this week. “We’re trying to get more power through the kickoff, better hang time and better distance. His ball-striking on his field goals is exceptional, but in order to be a complete NFL kicker you have to have both those skill sets.”

The revolving door continues to spin in the quest to find a younger snapper. The past two seasons, Jeff Robinson was coaxed out of retirement by DeHaven to bring some needed stability to the position. This spring, the club has had five snappers on hand at one time or another – Tyler Schmitt, a sixth-round draft choice last year who was released in May after spending his rookie season on injured reserve with a back problem; Ryan Senser, who was released earlier this month; Sean Griffin, who was brought in for a tryout at one of the minicamps; and now Pittman and Houser.

Pittman, who is from Auburn and kicked at the University of Washington, snapped the past six seasons with the Houston Texans. He seemed to be the man, until Houser was released by the Saints after snapping in 144 consecutive games for New Orleans.

As with the kickers, only one snapper will prevail on the final roster cut to 53 players.

As for just who will return kickoffs and punts, Butler’s speed (4.38 seconds for 40 yards at the scouting combine) has the coaches wanting to get the ball in his hands anyway they can.

It’s too early to define just what Deon’s role will be,” Mora said. “I know what we hope his role will be – a guy who can add something in the return game, can stretch the field a little for us. But we’ll see as we go through camp and the preseason.”

There’s also Forsett, who averaged 24.9 yards on kickoff returns and 9.9 yards on kickoff returns during his rookie season; and Wilson, who set club records for kickoff returns (69) and yards (1,753) last season and also led the league with eight returns of 40-plus yards.

But Butler, who signed his contract Friday, will push to be part of the return game.

“Deon can absolutely return kickoffs, we know that for sure,” Mora said. “Bruce has a hunch that Deon also can return punts.”

Mora was unable to contain a chuckle as he added, “But when there are 11 guys running down at him in that first preseason game in San Diego, we’re going to find out a little bit more about that.

“We’re gong to put him in a position to find out, I promise you that.”

Butler or Forsett? Butler and Wilson, or Wilson and Forsett? Mare or Coutu? Pittman or Houser?

Those are the special circumstances that must be addressed before the Seahawks open their regular season Sept. 13 against the St. Louis Rams at Qwest Field.

Feb 14, 2004
I think we should just let Olindo go and stick with young talent such as Brandon. I mean he's learning from Morten, that should be good for him. Plus Olindo signed only a two year contract with us, and if the Seahawks want only ONE kicker this season, get rid of Olindo and keep this young kicker. As for the returners. I think they should consist of Josh Wilson and Deon Butler. Justin Forsett, was good at it in the preseason for us last season, but he didn't prove nothing in an regular season game. And if they have to, let Burleson return a few kickoffs here and there. We all know how well of a returner he can be.

Jan 12, 2006
This should go in the worlds most boring thread! Or the worlds shittiest thread! Or the worlds gayest thread! Either will do just dont leave it in the wide world of sports forum

Jul 8, 2007
Man to be honest this thread is a waste of space... Ur gonna be talkin to urself most of the time. I'm a football fan but I don't wanna read this thread period.

Feb 14, 2004
we have receivers, they just need to stay healthy.
That is the truth. We had seven WR's going out with injuries last season. We now have 11 WR's on the roster right now. And we're keeping six. TJ Houshmandzadeh, Nate Burleson, Deion Branch, Deon Butler and that last two spots are up for grabs. Obomanu and McMullen probably have the edge right now. Obomanu is a complete receiver who does everything competently and also can return punts. McMullen has done a nice job catching the ball and gives Seattle a big target in the red zone. But Kent, Taylor and Payne are right on their tails. And all Haas has done is find ways to get open and make plays when the ball has been thrown to him during offseason workouts.

Feb 14, 2004
^hes still upset from his teams fuck up against the seahawks.... Don't blame the hawks blame gay ass Tony Homo! Lmao
I wouldn't even take that bitch fRESH88 serious. He's a bandwagon fan.

And yea I'm a steelers fan, also a cowboys, patriots, Yankees, lakers, brazil, and gators fan. I only like teams that know how to win championships.
fuck a bandwagon fan.