Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 14, 2004
KANSAS CITY – This was the night that the Seahawks starters were going to play into the second half for the only time in the preseason.

They made sure it was a good night.

Matt Hasselbeck led a precision nine-play, 74-yard drive to open the second half that ended with a 28-yard touchdown pass to tight end John Carlson and gave the Seahawks their first lead of the game in a 14-10 victory over the Kansas City Chiefs at Arrowhead Stadium on Saturday night.

Not to be outdone, the defense then flexed its prowess by forcing a three-and-out, as defensive end Cory Redding dropped Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles for no gain, cornerback Josh Wilson stopped former Seahawks wide receiver Bobby Engram for a 5-yard gain and middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu rejected Tyler Thigpen’s third-down pass.

Faster than the coaches could say that’s exactly how we would have drawn it up, the starters called it an evening – and, basically, a preseason because the backups will play most of Thursday night’s finale against the Oakland Raiders at Qwest Field.

The rally lifted the Seahawks to 3-0, and the way they did it gave coach Jim Mora a lift.

“The most positive thing for us as football team was coming on the road, facing some early adversity and coming back and winning,” Mora said. “You’re never happy to see an interception return for a touchdown, but I was happy to see the way our team reacted.”

The early adversity came when Chiefs cornerback Brandon Flowers intercepted a Hasselbeck pass that was tipped and returned it 28 yards for a touchdown on the Seahawks’ second play of the game.

After that, however, the Seahawks outscored the Chiefs 14-3, as Hasselbeck also passed 8 yards to T.J. Houshmandzadeh on the final series of the first half.

Hasselbeck finished 19 of 25 for 216 yards and a 111.4 passer rating, while Carlson (68 yards) and Houshmandzadeh (60 yards) each caught five passes.

Both teams should have scored more points, but the usually sure-footed Olindo Mare was wide left on attempts from 51 and 27 yards, while Brandon Coutu came up short on a 50-yarder. For the Chiefs, Ryan Succop was wide left from 28 yards and hit the crossbar on a 53-yarder.

Needless to say, neither Mare nor Coutu did anything to help decide which one will end up as the Seahawks’ kicker this season.

“That decision will go right down to the wire,” Mora said.

The Seahawks’ drive to Hasselbeck’s second touchdown pass almost resembled a training-camp practice, as he hooked up three times with Carlson.

Hasselbeck actually looked to Houshmandzadeh first. But when the Chiefs safety took a half step toward him, Hasselbeck went instead to Carlson.

“He’s earned it,” Hasselbeck said of his tight end, who had been the team’s best and most consistent player in training camp. “John practiced really hard all summer, and he really made a nice effort to get into the end zone.”

Especially when that pass play proved to be the game winner.

But the defense also did its part. First came the three-and-out by the No. 1 unit on the Chiefs first possession of the second half.

“It was nice,” strong safety Deon Grant said. “We were trying to set the tempo for the regular season tonight, because we won’t play much Thursday night. The way we started the second half, it was perfect. Now we’ve just got to build on that.”

Well, almost perfect.

“It was nice, but I wanted to play a little longer,” said Tatupu, who had four solo tackles to share team-high honors with Grant.

But the Seahawks also needed some big plays from their backups to ice the deal.

After the Chiefs had moved from their own 18-yard line to the Seahawks 39 with less than two minutes left in the game, defensive ends Derrick Walker and Nick Reed came up with back-to-back sacks and linebacker Will Herring intercepted a third-down pass.
The Seahawks finished with four sacks, including one by defensive tackle Brandon Mebane on the third play of the game that sent starting quarterback Matt Cassel to the sideline with a leg injury. Cassel did not return.

The Seahawks also ran the ball better than they had in wins over the San Diego Chargers, as Julius Jones and Justin Forsett finished with 3.8-yard averages – Jones with 57 yards on 15 carries, Forsett with 45 on 12 carries.

Still not what the coaches are expecting, but the progress they were hoping to see in the third preseason game.

That, and what they were able to get from the No. 1 offense and defense to start the second half.

“I wish we could have started the game like that,” Mora said. “But what I liked was the way we responded to adversity on the road.”
---------------------------------------------

I think that the Hawks will be cutting Olindo Mare, and keep Brandon Coutu.

Feb 14, 2004
RENTON, Wash. (AP)—The Seattle Seahawks have let go of four players ahead of the deadline to cut the roster to 75.

Seattle waived defensive tackle Kevin Brown(notes), fullback Dan Curran, linebacker Shane Simmons and tight end John Tereshinski. The Seahawks made the moves Sunday, one day after their 14-10 preseason win at Kansas City.

Teams have until Tuesday to trim rosters to 75 players. The final cutdown to 53 players has to be done by Sept. 5.

Feb 14, 2004
'09 Owner Rankings

13. Seattle Seahawks – Paul Allen: I tend to downgrade Allen based on his enormous potential, and this year is no exception. Yet other than the fact that he’s essentially invisible on a league level, the Microsoft co-founder is close to perfect. He does a good job of creating revenue, has pockets deeper than Puget Sound and is willing to spend in the pursuit of excellence. He hires good people, most notably team president Tod Leiweke, and gets the hell out of the way. He recently constructed perhaps the NFL’s finest training facility, which abuts Lake Washington and thus allows the ‘Hawks to woo free agents like wideout T.J. Houshmandzadeh(notes) by flying them in on a seaplane. I thought the organization’s decision to let Mike Holmgren coach a final season in ’08 with anointed successor Jimmy Mora on the staff was a dubious one, but things should be much smoother now that the transition is complete. For one thing, there will be less tension now that the coach and general manager (Tim Ruskell) don’t detest one another.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...wnerrankingsparttwo090309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Feb 14, 2004
Yeah that's what I was thinking, too. In the top 10 at least. Paul Allen is a great owner. He saved the Seahawks from moving, brought the people Qwest Field and brought in Mike Holmgren.

May 11, 2002
I watched something on Fox Sports Northwest documenting Paul Allen, they were saying that he wanted to buy the Sonics but they wouldn't let him so he settled for the TrailBlazers. And they were saying how much he loves and obsesses over basketball and that his true love lies in Basketball and the only reason he bought the Seahawks and Qwest is because he felt that it was his civic duty to Seattle.

Oh yeah, so I dont know if the Jersey I saw today was the jersey that the hawks are going to wear this year, you know the alternate jersey that everyone keeps talking about on here, but the one I saw that this guy in my apartment was wearing today, was clean. It looked nothing like the one I see on the internetz, but if it is(the new alternate jersey) then they are going to be sick.

Feb 14, 2004
The Seahawks have released safety Brian Russell, league sources told NFL Network’s Jason La Canfora.

Russell, a seven-year veteran, has started 32 consecutive games for the Seahawks since joining the team in 2007. Over that span, he tallied 140 tackles, two sacks and one interception.

Russell also has spent time with the Vikings (2002-04) and Browns (2005-06)

Feb 14, 2004
^add on to that....

The Seahawks have inked Lawyer Milloy to a contract after releasing Brian Russell, FOXSports.com has learned.

A 13-year NFL veteran, Milloy spent the past three seasons as an Atlanta Falcons starter. He finished last season with 93 tackles and five passes defensed but the 35-year-old wasn't re-sig ned in the offseason as Atlanta sought a younger replacement.

Russell never lived up to the expectations that came when signing a five-year, $13.5 million free-agent contract in 2007. Russell, 31, only generated one interception in two seasons as Seattle's starting free safety.

At least for the short term while Milloy learns the Seahawks defense, Jordan Babineaux is expected to start for Seattle opposite strong safety Deon Grant. Milloy played under new Seahawks coach Jim Mora in Seattle in 2007.

Milloy spent his first seven seasons with New England and was a key player on the Patriots' team that won Super Bowl XXXVI.

Feb 14, 2004
Seahawks Make Roster Moves

Renton, Wash. - The Seattle Seahawks announce roster moves to comply with the NFL's required roster limit.

Waived:
S Jamar Adams
DE Baraka Atkins
K Brandon Coutu
G Brian De La Puente
CB Marquis Floyd
T Na'Shan Goddard
S Courtney Greene
WR Mike Hass
CB Kevin Hobbs
FB David Kirtman
RB Devin Moore
CB Nate Ness
TE Joe Newton
WR Logan Payne
LB Dave Philistin
T Andre Ramsey
T William Robinson
QB Jeff Rowe
WR Courtney Taylor

Waived with an injury settlement:
WR Jordan Kent

Terminated the following vested veteran contracts:
LB D.D. Lewis
S Brian Russell

Terminated the following player contract from Reserve/Injured with an injury settlement:
G Cory Withrow

Placed the following player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform:
CB Marcus Trufant

Youth and age were served Saturday when the Seahawks made their roster moves to reach the league-mandated limit of 53 players.

Rookie defensive linemen Nick Reed and Michael Bennett earned spots with their solid efforts as 20 players were released, two veterans had their contracts terminated and cornerback Marcus Trufant was placed on the physically unable to perform list because of the same back situation that sidelined for all of training camp and the preseason.

Veteran kicker Olindo Mare also prevailed after his summer-long competition with Brandon Coutu. So did fourth-year wide receiver Ben Obomanu, who nailed down the fifth roster spot at his position with a strong showing in Thursday night’s final preseason game against the Oakland Raiders.

Not as fortunate were safety Brian Russell and linebacker D.D. Lewis, who contracts were terminated. Russell started 32 games the past two seasons after being signed in free agency in 2007, while Lewis was a starter during the Seahawks run to the Super Bowl in 2005.

Actually, the Seahawks are at 52 players, so other moves can be expected.

Because Reed, Bennett and Derek Walker played so well during the preseason, the club retained 11 defensive linemen. Reed, a seventh-round draft choice, led the team with 4½ sacks, while Bennett and Walker combined for four.

Just how they fit into the mix during the regular season remains to be seen, as the club also is carrying backups Darryl Tapp, Lawrence Jackson, Red Bryant and Craig Terrill in addition to the starting unit of ends Cory Redding and Patrick Kerney and tackles Colin Cole and Brandon Mebane.

Feb 14, 2004
^Me either.

But he is a good person outside of football. But the Seahawks don't need that. We need a badass safety. Which is why we signed Lawyer. Hopefully Lawyer does good for us. It's either him or Big Play Babs. Grant is alreay going to do good for us.