Seahawks News Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

NAMO

Sicc OG
Apr 11, 2009
Those are insane Savage, thanks for posting them, the night one is fucking unreal.

Its one stadium I must watch a game at in future. How hard would it be to get tickets for the niners/hawks game this year?

Feb 14, 2004
Feb 14, 2004
With all of the weapons the Hawks have on offense, I won't be surprised if he isn't the star receiver of the game. But if he gets six receptions in this game like last, I want it to be for more than 50 yards this time.

Feb 14, 2004
Friday in Hawkville

A recap of the day’s events:

FOCUS ON

Lofa Tatupu. The team’s middle linebacker was back, sort of. Tatupu was in uniform at practice, but he also was very limited after sitting out the previous two days to rest a sore hamstring.

Coach Jim Mora is anticipating that Tatupu will play in Sunday’s game against the 49ers in San Francisco, but Tatupu is listed as questionable on the official injury report.

“Knowing Lofa, I expect him to play,” Mora said. “But we’ll wait and see how he feels Sunday.”

Asked whether he expects to play, Tatupu deferred, saying he didn’t want to get into that.

But the team definitely needs him to play, and not just because the defense will be facing old nemesis Frank Gore.

“What separates Lofa is that he is so detailed,” defensive coordinator Gus Bradley said. “He loves the game and talks the game all the time. When you get a guy like that playing linebacker for you, you can put a lot of weight on his shoulders. And we have.

“It’s gone from where maybe he didn’t make a lot of checks or adjustments in the past, to now it’s on him. That’s great, because of his detail and how much he loves the game.”

POSITION WATCH

Defensive tackle. Red Bryant was not active for last week’s game against the St. Louis Rams because the coaches anticipated needing more pass-rush help. But the second-year tackle will be active against the 49ers.

“This could be one of those games that’s perfect for a guy built like that,” Mora said of the 6-foot-4, 318-pound Bryant. “They’re a team that tries to pound the football at you and power you, so Red will be active this week.”

Another fact is that starter Brandon Mebane has not practiced since straining a calf muscle Wednesday. He is listed as questionable. If he can’t go – and even if he can – Craig Terrill likely will get more snaps than he did in the opener and Bryant also will work in the rotation.

GAME BALLS

Mora passed out game balls after practice from last week’s win over the St. Louis Rams: Tight end John Carlson (offense), cornerback Josh Wilson (defense) and linebacker Lance Laury (special teams).

Carlson had two touchdown receptions, Wilson had a team-high five tackles and broke up three passes and Laury forced a fumble on the opening kickoff.

INJURY REPORT

The official injury report, as released by the team:

Out

» LB Leroy Hill (groin)

Questionable

» WR Deion Branch (hamstring)
» CB Travis Fisher (hamstring)
» OT Walter Jones (knee)
» DT Brandon Mebane (calf)
» C Chris Spencer (quadriceps)
» MLB Lofa Tatupu (hamstring)
Probable

» WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh (back)
» S C.J. Wallace (rib)
“The encouraging thing is that everybody did some work,” Mora said. “It’s been quite a while since most of the guys have worked. So that was a good thing for us this week.”

Mora was asked what he needed to see from Jones to know he is ready and he offered, “I think it’s hear from Walter. Really. Walter just needs to feel good about himself and where he is physically and conditioning-wise and then just let us know.

“When he’s ready to go, we’ll get him in there. If it’s Sunday, it’s Sunday. If it’s next Sunday or the following Sunday, we’ve got respect Walter and how he feels about his body. … We’ve got to make the right decision there. We can’t be greedy.”

ON TAP

The players will hold a walkthrough Saturday before flying to San Francisco for Sunday’s game.

Tuesday, wide receiver Nate Burleson will sign autographs at the Qwest Field Pro Shop from 6-7 p.m.

YOU DON’T SAY

“I don’t think any football game is ugly. I liked the way they played. They played good defense and they ground it out. And when they had to come up with a play to win it, they came up with a play to win it. It was like good football to me. I’m not necessarily a run-and-shoot guy. I’m a defensive guy. So I kind of liked it.” – Mora, when asked if he expected another ugly game after the way the 49ers played in upsetting the Arizona Cardinals last week

Feb 14, 2004
^thx.

and yes fuck the sounders and MLS' bitch ass rules. It was Seahawks field first. Get the Sounders their own damn field and bring back our blue end zones. Shit just doesn't look right anymore.

Feb 14, 2004
RENTON, Wash. (AP)—Walter Jones(notes) could play Sunday for the Seahawks at San Francisco, one month to the day after knee surgery.

Seattle’s nine-time Pro Bowl left tackle had his most extensive practice on Friday since his second knee surgery in eight months. The 35-year-old did some team drills and is listed as questionable.

Coach Jim Mora said Jones has progressed more than expected. He’s waiting for his star to say he’s ready, but Mora cautioned “we can’t be greedy” and play Jones too soon.

“Walter just needs to let us know. When he’s ready to go, we’ll get him in there—whether it’s this Sunday, next Sunday, the following Sunday,” Mora said.

As for how the Seahawks’ already jumbled offensive line would resettle once Jones gets back, Mora said the coaches haven’t discussed that.

“I don’t think we anticipated early in the week Walt being where he is,” Mora said. “We have to make the right decision with Walt.”

Jones had microfracture surgery on his left knee last winter and missed the final four games of the 2008 season, his first absences due to injury since his rookie year of 1997.

Top wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh(notes) practiced for the first time this week following back spasms. He is listed as probable and says he will start.

Deion Branch(notes) is less likely to play. He missed another day with a strained hamstring that he first hurt in practice on Sept. 7.

Branch has yet to make the impact the Seahawks thought they’d get in 2006, when they traded a first-round draft choice to New England to get the former Super Bowl MVP and then gave him a $39 million contract with $13 million guaranteed.

Branch senses that, which is why he is anxious to get back—strained hamstring or not.

“I would hate for Deion to go out there because he is so anxious to play, and prove his worth and make plays to help this team win, that he re-strains that thing and he misses three or four more games,” Mora said. “We just want to make sure he is healthy.”

Seattle has three other starters listed as questionable for a game that will determine the early leader in the NFC West: linebacker Lofa Tatupu(notes) (hamstring), center Chris Spencer(notes) (quadriceps) and defensive tackle Brandon Mebane(notes) (calf).

Tatupu hasn’t practiced all week. He’s been standing behind Mora and coordinator Gus Bradley at the back of the defense, holding a play sheet and following the game plan. But Mora is counting on having the leader of his defense.

After practice Friday, Tatupu talked of the importance of stopping San Francisco runner Frank Gore(notes) and other 49ers keys—with the presumption he will be in there.

“Knowing Lofa, I expect him to play,” Mora said of his rugged, three-time Pro Bowler. “Once again, we will wait and see how he feels on Sunday before the game.”

Seattle is already without linebacker Leroy Hill(notes) for at least six weeks because of a torn groin.

Feb 14, 2004
Leaner and meaner

Running back Julius Jones has lost weight, but not his desire to prove people wrong as he leads the Seahawks against the 49ers on Sunday.

Jim Mora was asked about Sunday’s game against the San Francisco 49ers, and the Seahawks coach stopped just short of frothing at the mouth.

“I think that it will be a slugfest. I think it will be a tough, gut-grinder kind of game,” Mora said Friday after practice. “That’s the type of team they are and that’s the type of team we are.”

So why is Julius Jones smiling? Because that’s also the kind of challenge that the Seahawks’ leading rusher embraces – no, cherishes.

The best way to insure that Jones will indeed do something is to tell him he can’t possibly do it. Like this offseason, when too much of the talk about the Seahawks focused on just who would run the ball in the team’s new zone-blocking scheme.

“I see that stuff and I hear about it,” Jones said. “But I like it. I like to prove people wrong. I like to make people look silly.”

That certainly was the case in the opener, when Jones ran for 117 yards – including a 62-yard burst for touchdown right up the cut of a St. Louis Rams defense that was stacked to stop him.

Everyone, it seems, had a favorite block on the play. There was the way center Steve Vallos walled off the right side of the crease Jones needed. There was the lead block by fullback Justin Griffith that did the same thing on the right side. But there also was the rookie duo of wide receiver Deon Butler and right guard Max Unger cutting down the pursuit by taking care of cornerback Jonathan Wade and linebacker David Vobora, respectively.

But what about the back, who used a nifty move to freeze the safety and then outran a trio of Rams to the end zone?

“Julius can run, now,” wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh said. “Anybody who says differently just isn’t paying attention.”

That’s another reason Jones is smiling this season. The Seahawks, under new offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, are committed to being a more balanced offense, and Knapp and Mora have committed to Jones being the lead back.

To get ready for his increased load this season, Jones didn’t gain extra weight. He actually shed 10 pounds to get down to 210.

“I just wanted to be lighter,” Jones said. “I don’t really carry weight that well. I mean, I can. But I obviously want to be as fast as possible. And just losing weight will do that for you.”

As fast as he was after popping through that hole against the Rams, and then juking his way to “nothing but green grass,” as he put it after the game.

“Nobody caught me,” he said. “And nobody will catch me, if I can get in the open field.”

Jones then turned the tables and became the questioner, rather than the one answering question.

“So, how’d it look?” he said.

“Well, nobody caught you,” was the response.

“Cool,” said Jones.

Cool, indeed. This season seems like a breeze, after he shared the load and then lost even the role in his first season with the Seahawks. Despite cranking out 127- and 140-yard rushing performances in Weeks 2 and 3 – against the 49ers and Rams– his carries and yards diminished to the point where Jones ran only six times for 24 yards in the last four games.

But Jones isn’t looking back. Just forward. And his coaches and teammates have noticed.

“Julius is just kind of a hard-nosed guy and he's fun to be around,” quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said. “He definitely has a short temper, which is OK. On the field you can get him upset and then he runs even harder.

“Even playing him when he was in Dallas, he came out like a man on a mission when he got that ball. I think it’s good. I think it’s a good thing as a running back to have the qualities that he has.”

Mora agrees, adding, “Julius seems energized. He seems excited about being here every day. He seems focused to me.”

Asked about the chip-on-the-shoulder-pad factor, Mora offered, “I haven’t noticed that. But it probably is a good way to play if you are a running back, if you feel like you have something to prove.”

That’s Julius Jones. He is out to prove anyone who has ever doubted him wrong. One carry, one yard at a time.

Feb 14, 2004
Medical tests have determined that Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, who took a hard hit in the first half of Sunday's loss to the San Francisco 49ers, has a fractured rib, a league source said Monday.

It is not clear whether the injury will sideline Hasselbeck for Seattle's Week 3 game against the Chicago Bears, but the Seahawks are encouraged that the injury was not more severe, the source said.
Hasselbeck rejoined his teammates for the two-hour flight home shortly after Seattle's 23-10 loss in San Francisco.
Doctors tested him for lung, liver and kidney damage and did not find any, according to the source, but they did discover the rib fracture, making Hasselbeck the second quarterback in two weeks to fracture a rib. Philadelphia's Donovan McNabb suffered the same fate in the Eagles' opener and sat out his team's game against New Orleans on Sunday.
On Sunday night Hasselbeck posted on Twitter: "Going to be alright. Thx to staff at Stanford ... ." He also attached a picture taken of him lying on a gurney soon after the injury.

Adam S. Reports from ESPN
-------------------------------------------
Jim Mora was just live on NFL Network, just a minute ago and said Hasselbeck is going to be day to day.

Feb 14, 2004
Seahawks kicker Olindo Mare has five touchbacks to share the NFL lead, while punter Jon Ryan leads the league in net average (44.3) and is third in gross average (52.6).

Defensive end Lawrence Jackson leads the NFC and is tied for third in the league with three sacks.

Through Sunday’s games, the Seahawks rank 12th in the league in total offense (12th rushing, 11th passing) and are 14th in total defense (27th rushing, 2nd passing).

Eight of Justin Forsett’s 14 touches on offense (eight carries, six receptions) have resulted in first downs (five rushing, three receiving).

With eight tackles against the 49ers, free safety Jordan Babineaux leads the team with 13. Rookie linebacker Aaron Curry is second with eight.

The Seahawks lost their Week 2 game for the third consecutive season and the sixth time in the past 10 years. The four Week 2 wins came in four consecutive seasons (2003-06).

May 9, 2002
Seahawks kicker Olindo Mare has five touchbacks to share the NFL lead, while punter Jon Ryan leads the league in net average (44.3) and is third in gross average (52.6).
Ryan has been booting the shit out of the ball, but can he directional kick it? Thats the true testament for a good P.

Defensive end Lawrence Jackson leads the NFC and is tied for third in the league with three sacks.
So far, L-Jack has impressed and is showing he may be worth the pick. He sucked last year, but its no uncommon for DE's to develop AFTER the 2nd year.

Through Sunday’s games, the Seahawks rank 12th in the league in total offense (12th rushing, 11th passing) and are 14th in total defense (27th rushing, 2nd passing).
This is somewhat skewed becuase it has only been 2 weeks, and they were complete opposites of one another.

Eight of Justin Forsett’s 14 touches on offense (eight carries, six receptions) have resulted in first downs (five rushing, three receiving).
They need to utilize him more often....he looked good yesterday.

With eight tackles against the 49ers, free safety Jordan Babineaux leads the team with 13. Rookie linebacker Aaron Curry is second with eight.
Its not good when your safety leads the team in tackles.

The Seahawks lost their Week 2 game for the third consecutive season and the sixth time in the past 10 years. The four Week 2 wins came in four consecutive seasons (2003-06).
Not really sure what to make of this, only that it means little. We were good in 2007 and injured in 2008.

May 9, 2002
Here is some fucked up news:

Sean Locklear, Josh Wilson both have high ankle sprains. Justin Griffith has a sprained MCL.

So basically, Locklear and Josh Wilson...out for year. Justin needs to rest, which means Schmitt starts at FB.

LOL...its turning into 2008 all over again....

Feb 14, 2004
Ryan has been booting the shit out of the ball, but can he directional kick it? Thats the true testament for a good P.
He's not that good of a coffin corner punter, but he sure does have some power in his punts. I like him a lot more than Plack.

So far, L-Jack has impressed and is showing he may be worth the pick. He sucked last year, but its no uncommon for DE's to develop AFTER the 2nd year.
Yes Lo-Jack is starting to look impressing. I hope he can step up big once Kerney retires.

They need to utilize him more often....he looked good yesterday.
J-Force definitly looked good yesterday carrying the rock.

Its not good when your safety leads the team in tackles.
No it's not, but at least he's getting the job done. We really need Tatupu and Hill back.

Feb 14, 2004
Here is some fucked up news:

Sean Locklear, Josh Wilson both have high ankle sprains. Justin Griffith has a sprained MCL.

So basically, Locklear and Josh Wilson...out for year. Justin needs to rest, which means Schmitt starts at FB.

LOL...its turning into 2008 all over again....
Oh yeah losing Locklear for the rest of the season is a huge loss. And Josh Wilson is a huge loss to our secondary. But I am not too worried about losing Griffith. I think Schmitt can get the job done. But so far, this is looking like a repeat of the 2008 season. And it sucks.