re: Seahawks tickets & CA residents

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
re: Seahawks tickets & CA residents

So about this Seahawks ticket 'controversy' ...
By John Boyle, Herald Writer

A lot has been made the past couple of days about how the Seahawks limited ticket sales to certain states and Canadian provinces. The story being told in some parts is that the Seahawks limited sales to people with billing addresses in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Hawaii, Alaska, British Columbia and Alberta—for the most part places where Seahawks fans live, though you could argue that Hawaii's a bit of a stretch.

Most notably not on that list, of course, is California, home of this weekend's opponent, the San Francisco 49ers. Yet even if we leave out the fact that this policy was in place before the 49ers beat Carolina to advance to the NFC championship game, a rather significant detail, there is a good explanation for this that has nothing to do with being "scared" of 49ers fans buying tickets. Somehow this became a big story, even though it's nothing new in the sports world, and in fact the Broncos did the same thing for the AFC championship game.

And before we get into why the Seahawks were actually restricting ticket sales, would it even be a bad thing if they did this just to make sure they have the best home-field advantage possible? I don't think so, and I would defend the 49ers or any other team for doing the same thing. You know who else isn't bothered by Seattle's ticket policy? 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh, who when asked about it on Monday told reporters, "It's within the spirit of the rules in the National Football League," Harbaugh said. "I actually respect it, that you're doing it for your team and to put them in the best possible position to win that you can. I respect that the organization does that for their team. I think they do that in a lot of ways. What do I think of it? I respect it."

Seattle earned home-field advantage with its body of work this season, why not maximize that advantage, or as Harbaugh put it, "put them in the best possible position" to advance to the Super Bowl? Yet that's not even the main reason for this policy.

Because the Seahawks have a rather healthy season ticket base, very few tickets were available to the public, fewer than 3,000. So no matter how tickets were or weren't restricted, they were going to go fast. But two weeks ago, what the Seahawks discovered was that the bulk of the tickets they put on sale for their game against New Orleans were snatched up by ticket brokers, particularly those located in New York, New Jersey, Nevada and, you guessed it, California.

The National Association of Ticket Brokers lists just three members in all the states/provinces that were allowed to purchase Seahawks tickets, all of which were in B.C.

Those states the Seahawks were trying to avoid? California has 31 NATB members, New York and New Jersey claim 10 each, and Nevada has six. Now obviously there are ticket brokers all over the country who aren't NATB members, but that list helps give you an idea of the prevalence of brokers in California.

There is a ton of demand for Seahawks tickets, and the team would just as soon have its fans get them than a ticket broker who is going to turn around and sell them to their fans for a healthy profit.

So no, the Seahawks weren't worried about 49ers fans snatching up a few hundred tickets; they were just trying to ensure that as many tickets as possible went to fans at face value.

Nov 24, 2003
Yet even if we leave out the fact that this policy was in place before the 49ers beat Carolina to advance to the NFC championship game

Honestly the outrage was nothing more than simple minded people grasping at straws in an attempt to give themselves an emotional charge.

Great articles, thanks for posting..

Mar 16, 2005
most teams with a good fanbase do this in all sports. Yankess do it vs redsox. If indy and carolina were better fan bases instead of needlical help from businesses to sel lout they could have too.

Denver seats 76000, most of that is season ticket holders, there are very few tickets left to go around, why open it up to everyne when you cant even please your whole local fan base?

Feb 14, 2004
^Did you read the whole article?

Is there even a professional sports franchise out there with no seats available because they're all taken by season ticket holders?

Mar 16, 2005
^Did you read the whole article?

Is there even a professional sports franchise out there with no seats available because they're all taken by season ticket holders?
no because a team cannot sell all seats as season tickets, they MUST leave seats open for public. Re-read what I said, its only about why did seattle and denver restrict to certain zipcodes...its becasue of supply vs demand, why open to all when you can sell only to your own base

Nov 24, 2003
no because a team cannot sell all seats as season tickets, they MUST leave seats open for public. Re-read what I said, its only about why did seattle and denver restrict to certain zipcodes...its becasue of supply vs demand, why open to all when you can sell only to your own base

It's a complicated issue, but you know there is a problem when tickets are selling on the aftermarket for 3-4 times face value.

I was damn tempted to sell my tickets when I could have received 5 times what I paid haha. I don't have a great solution but I definitely think they should be thinking of ways to put more money towards the actual event and less to scalpers.

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
It's a complicated issue, but you know there is a problem when tickets are selling on the aftermarket for 3-4 times face value.

I was damn tempted to sell my tickets when I could have received 5 times what I paid haha. I don't have a great solution but I definitely think they should be thinking of ways to put more money towards the actual event and less to scalpers.
breh its called capitalism, live it...

MysticOracle

si vis pacem para bellum
May 4, 2006
707- VALLEJO

i agree..the after market needs some type of regulations...but i also see it as if you dont like the price of something dont pay it....

the fact that stadiums sell out is the only thing the league cares about they dont care that someone paid say 300 for a 39 dollar ticket...people shouldnt buy the tickets...prices would ultimately come down

last year i had super bowl tickets....i saw what they were going for and sold them ...ultimately it was more like a business move...sure it would have been a fun trip but i like money more and i put that money into this season, and next season as well as pay for tailgating stuff still with it ...