The Official Seattle Mariners Thread

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
I was at the game. Both games I've gone to this year have been filthy. I think I'm just gonna go to every single game I can for the rest of the year. I managed to get free awesome tickets to this game too.

Palmer

RIP SouthernComfort
Apr 10, 2006
SEAHAWKS!!!
I was at the game. Both games I've gone to this year have been filthy. I think I'm just gonna go to every single game I can for the rest of the year. I managed to get free awesome tickets to this game too.

Aug 9, 2006
young mariner killed

ROTTERDAM, Netherlands -- Seattle Mariners outfielder Greg Halman was stabbed to death early Monday and his brother was arrested as a suspect, Dutch police said.

Halman
Rotterdam Police spokeswoman Patricia Wessels said police were called to a home in the port city in the early hours of the morning and found the 24-year-old Dutch player bleeding from a stab wound.

The officers and ambulance paramedics were unable to resuscitate Halman.

Wessels said the officers arrested Halman's 22-year-old brother. She declined to give his name, in line with Dutch privacy rules.

"He is under arrest and right now he is being questioned," Wessels told The Associated Press in a telephone interview. "It will take some time to figure out what exactly happened."

No charges have been filed in the case.

Halman hit .230 in 35 games and made starts at all three outfield positions for the Mariners in 2011 before being optioned to Triple-A Tacoma.

Because he played professionally in the United States, Halman was not part of the Netherlands team that won the Baseball World Cup in Panama last month. The Dutch beat Cuba 2-1 in the final to become the first European team to win the title.

Born in the city of Haarlem, Halman played in the Dutch Pro League and was part of the gold medal winning Dutch squad at the 2007 European Championship.

Major League Baseball Players Association president Michael Weiner said in a statement that the union was "deeply saddened" to learn of Halman's death.

"Greg was passionate about the game of baseball and generously gave of himself to share his passion with others in an attempt to help grow the sport's popularity across Europe. He will be sorely missed. Having played for the Netherlands in the 2009 World Baseball Classic, and having participated in the recent 2011 European Big League Tour, Greg's lasting legacy is sure to be the trail he helped blaze for European youth to follow in his footsteps," Weiner said in the statement.

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
You have to give to get. In case you missed it, the past two years of M's offense has been the WORST in MLB since 1972. So guess what, i trade a young pitcher for a young hitter.
yea well you dont have to be condescending about it, ive seen the horror unfold the past couple years. and out of the bullshit pineda emerged last year as one of the positive points. shit, pineda is straight up an ace, and he just got a free ride to some championships by putting on those pinstripes. have you seen what that kid can do? i bet pineda is going to be a legendary pitcher over there on the yankees once he masters his 3rd and 4th pitches

and what did we get, an unproven designated hitter? a replacement for smoak?

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
but im pretty sure yankees fans are saying the same thing about montero.
"this guys the shit, and we gave him up for what, a starter with a good fastball and slider and periodic rookie issues?"

lol
so ultimately, "We'll hope and see"
what we've been doing as fans for several years
hoping something happens

May 9, 2002
yea well you dont have to be condescending about it, ive seen the horror unfold the past couple years. and out of the bullshit pineda emerged last year as one of the positive points. shit, pineda is straight up an ace, and he just got a free ride to some championships by putting on those pinstripes. have you seen what that kid can do? i bet pineda is going to be a legendary pitcher over there on the yankees once he masters his 3rd and 4th pitches

and what did we get, an unproven designated hitter? a replacement for smoak?
Seattle has several young pitchers in the minors that can be called up to spring training, and they probably will. Thats one position the M's are stocked at in the minors...pitching. So im OK with the move.

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
Seattle has several young pitchers in the minors that can be called up to spring training, and they probably will. Thats one position the M's are stocked at in the minors...pitching. So im OK with the move.
after looking it over some more, i agree. the mariners could afford to give pineda out, and if they get a guy that hits 30 homeruns a year then the trade is going to be looked on as genius. i mean whats phenomenal historic pitching for another year if you have phenomenally bad offense at the same time. 3 years of championship calibre pitching with 3 years of some of the worst offense in baseball history is fuckin enough, they have no choice but to make some moves.

im just pretty jaded about the mariners motivations as a whole though and past bad decisions. are they just getting another bat with some sensation behind the name so they can put out another .500 year and keep the money flowing in? are they serious about building for a future championship? guess this year will just be another watch and learn year

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
looks like Chone Figgins got moved to the number 1 spot in the batting order, ichiro has changed his hitting style and hes going to bat third.

i cant lie, im fuckin excited as hell to see eric wedge finally make these changes. it was clear figgins needed to be at the #1 spot to be productive, and ichiro needs to change his role on the team. he has the skill to hit more homeruns, and the power too.

this is an exciting change and good enough to get me to get back on board with the mariners this year, lol

BUTCHER 206

FREE BUTCHER206
Aug 22, 2003
Seattle, WA
dont be confused though, i dont really expect much out of figgins. this is kind of a last ditch effort to get figgins out there to produce i think, and i think he'll get maybe a month max, and if he doesnt do anything, will be benched.

thatd be awesome to see ichiro hit something like .280 and 20+ homeruns though, i hope this works out well for him and for the team.

these moves also put more pressure on the youth to produce. i hope it works