McNabb going to Washington

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jul 6, 2008
this was in the making since last year offseason, when they signed mike vick to a contract with this year being an option.

there was no way in hell the eagles were going to pay 2 QBs starter money this year, one of them had to go. vick is due 6 million this year. it was written. i dont know why anyone is suprised at this trade.

ALL BOUT CHICKEN

Allez Les Bleus 🌟🌟
Feb 27, 2006
Paris, France
www.fubuoverstock.com
i honestly want the redskins to do better than the eagles and the giants...

but i don't know if that will happen...

the two main concerns to me are...

1.) the redskins have a good amount of skill position players (mcnabb, portis, betts, lj, willie parker, santana moss, chris cooley), but don't have much of an offensive line. they can start somewhere though, especially with recently cut flozell adams still being a quality left tackle. only main problem with him is a lack of focus, especially with the numerous false starts.

2.) if i remember correctly, the redskins are switching to a 3-4 base defense. london fletcher is a very good middle linebacker, but since he is undersized, i don't know how well he will do with a 3 man front. he may have to take on more blockers, and him being 5'10", 245 lbs. may not benefit him. he could be the weakside inside linebacker, with rocky mcintosh being the strongside inside linebacker...but what could work in their 3-4 defense is brian orakpo and andre carter being the bookend defensive end/linebacker hybrids, just as how dallas uses demarcus ware and anthony spencer.

with that said, i think in order for the redskins to be successful this year, i think they'll have to address the offensive line and middle linebacker, whether it be the draft or via free agency. however, i don't know if a few rookie offensive linemen will make an immediate impact for the redskins, especially when it comes to protecting donovan mcnabb and paving the way for the running back committee of portis, betts, johnson, and parker.

Apr 20, 2003
i honestly want the redskins to do better than the eagles and the giants...

but i don't know if that will happen...

the two main concerns to me are...

1.) the redskins have a good amount of skill position players (mcnabb, portis, betts, lj, willie parker, santana moss, chris cooley), but don't have much of an offensive line. they can start somewhere though, especially with recently cut flozell adams still being a quality left tackle. only main problem with him is a lack of focus, especially with the numerous false starts.

2.) if i remember correctly, the redskins are switching to a 3-4 base defense. london fletcher is a very good middle linebacker, but since he is undersized, i don't know how well he will do with a 3 man front. he may have to take on more blockers, and him being 5'10", 245 lbs. may not benefit him. he could be the weakside inside linebacker, with rocky mcintosh being the strongside inside linebacker...but what could work in their 3-4 defense is brian orakpo and andre carter being the bookend defensive end/linebacker hybrids, just as how dallas uses demarcus ware and anthony spencer.

with that said, i think in order for the redskins to be successful this year, i think they'll have to address the offensive line and middle linebacker, whether it be the draft or via free agency. however, i don't know if a few rookie offensive linemen will make an immediate impact for the redskins, especially when it comes to protecting donovan mcnabb and paving the way for the running back committee of portis, betts, johnson, and parker.
Well said bro.... Great observations but Betts got released!

DubbC415

Mickey Fallon
Sep 10, 2002
Tomato Alley
McNabb: I would have gone to Oakland

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, April 8th, 2010 at 4:09 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Washington Redskins quarterback Donovan McNabb refuted stories with unnamed sources which reported he would retire rather than play for the Raiders.

Talking with host Ryen Rusillo on the Scott VanPelt Show (ESPN Radio), McNabb was asked what he would have done had he been traded to the Raiders.

“I would have been at the workouts and working out with the team, throwing and trying to get the timing down with the corps of receivers and running backs they have and communicated with the offensive line to get ready for minicamp,” McNabb said.

When Rusillo asked about the threat to retire, McNabb at first laughed out loud.

“Retirement?,” he said.

McNabb went on to elaborate.

“This is the problem with some of these so-called key analysts and these smart guys out there who go by `sources.’ So many people listen to different sources `close to’ the individual, but never the individual, saying that I would have not showed up in Oakland, I would have been upset . . . hey, with my name always being in the media all the time because of trade talk, I’m just happy that it’s over. I don’t mind being on ESPN if it’s something positive for my play, not for where I’m going to land next. A lot of it was blown way out of proportion.”

Of course, having McNabb refuse to play for the Raiders is a much more interesting story than what is the more likely reality _ that Oakland simply is not getting older as a team but working at getting younger, and McNabb was never an option because of that philosophy.

Think about it.

Jeff Garcia and Lorenzo Neal never made it out of training camp last year. Greg Ellis was waived this offseason. Justin Fargas, a 30-year-old back in a 35-year-old body is gone. There was no effort made to talk with the likes of LaDainian Tomlinson and Terrell Owens, the types of Hall of Fame candidates the Raiders have looked to in years past.

The club has not come to a longterm deal with defensive end Richard Seymour, perhaps waiting to see if he’s started on the downside of his career but franchising him to hedge their bets.

If the Raiders really wanted McNabb, they would have made a serious offer and landed him. I’m not sure I buy the story that the magnanimous Eagles “did the right thing” by trading him to the Redskins even though McNabb remained in the division.

And last time I checked, although the Redskins direction is more promising with Mike Shanahan and Bruce Allen running things instead of Daniel Snyder, they were 4-12 last year. One game worse than the team that McNabb supposedly wouldn’t consider.

The reason the Eagles made the trade is because they’re comfortable with seeing McNabb twice a year. And because the Raiders are floated more often as a trade possibility than any other team because they never deny it, and occasionally are punching bags because of it.

This should help close the book on the McNabb-to-Raiders story, but don’t count on it. It will be commonly accepted that McNabb refused to come to Oakland, regardless of what he or anyone else says.

It’s just one of those things the Raiders will have to endure until they change the storyline and start winning.

(Was out all morning taping a draft special for Comcast . . . thanks to the reader who told me about the interview).