The Siccness Network

Go Back   The Siccness Network > >

Sports Center »» Discussions on the NBA, NFL, MLB, NCAA, NHL, etc...



User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2017, 12:06 PM   #1
Face-Me
Sicc OG
 
Face-Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 637
Propped 651 Times in 352 Posts
IS LONZO BALL THE NEXT GREAT NBA POINT GUARD?

Is Lonzo Ball The Next Great NBA Point Guard?

July 14, 2017 by Staff

It is the beginning of a new era in Los Angeles.

And while many believe that Lakers fans are jumping the gun by anointing Lonzo Ball the savior of the Purple & Gold, rarely does the potential of a player generate this much buzz around the league. There was seemingly something special in this kid.. Something the NBA has not seen in quite some time.

So when Lonzo Ball struggled in his Lakers debut at the Las Vegas Summer League, the naysayers jumped faster than a rabbit in heat. Who can blame them? The hype around Ball created a Summer League buzz never before seen. We are talking about an exhibition that used to be played in high school gyms with about 20 fans in the stands just 10 years back. These match-ups were rarely even televised.. But this was different.

With all eyes on ‘Zo, everyone was ready to see if he would justify the buzz and deliver in his first game against the Clippers… He did not. You can chalk that up to first-game jitters. As expected, Lonzo came back strong in his second game against the Celtics, racking up the first Summer League triple-double since 2008. And after sitting out the next game against college rival Da’aaron Fox, the skeptics quickly returned. Maybe 36 points, 8 rebounds, 11 assists and a game-winning basket while single-handedly eliminating the Sixers in the 1st round of the Summer League tournament would be enough to shut them all up? Who knows. They say the doubters are just dreamers with broken hearts.. and I would not blame anyone for having a broken heart due to Lonzo Ball not being drafted by their team. In round 2 of the tournament, ‘Zo broke more hearts with yet another triple-double, eliminating the Cavaliers with a stat line of 16 points, 10 rebounds, 12 assists, and 5 steals to be exact.

We have all heard it.. “it is only Summer League!” But Summer League or not, Lonzo Ball has already displayed the ability to see the floor like no other. With incredible court vision, a natural feel for the game, and tremendous size at the point guard position, he is perhaps the best passer coming out of college since Jason Kidd. In reality, one could argue that the fact he is excelling in Summer League makes it all the more more impressive. For beginners, the Summer League game is only 40 minutes long, which gives players less time to accumulate a triple-double. Secondly, he is practically playing with D-League (or is it called the G-League yet?) level talent and pretty much has them looking like all-stars.. just imagine what he could be doing with some legit talent!

Actually, Lonzo Ball is what the Lakers were expecting D’Angelo Russell to be. It was D’Angelo who was initially hailed as the next great passer brought in to save the Lakers’ sinking ship. And just like ‘Zo, D’Angelo was also drafted at the number 2 spot to be groomed into the Lakers’ next franchise point guard. Rick Pitino even went as far as claiming that D’Angelo was “the greatest passer since Magic Johnson”. Ironically, the player who got D’Angelo traded (Lonzo) was exactly what D’Angelo was SUPPOSED to be. While D’Angelo turned out to be more of a shooting guard in a point guards body, Lonzo was clearly a pure point guard in every sense of the word, entering the draft as the record holder of UCLA’s freshman assist record. A true leader with the ability to make those around him better. It is no wonder that as soon as the Lakers drafted ‘Zo, Lakers’ President of Basketball Operations Magic Johnson told him that their goal is to one day have his number 2 jersey hanging in the rafters alongside all the past Laker legends.

Funny how things work.. the Lakers’ last great point guard ushering in the era of the Lakers’ next great point guard, as if it was meant to be.

It is hard to think of a downside to Lonzo’s game, but as great as he has looked, there is always room for improvement. The one area he has struggled in has been his three-point shooting. While he looked like a knock-down shooter in college, he has had some trouble shooting the three efficiently in the NBA thus far. It is not that he does not have a good stroke.. he already showed us he can shoot. He has an unorthodox form, but the current issue seems to stem from shot selection as opposed to mechanics.. Lonzo takes a lot of off-balanced shot, and sometimes tends to rush shots prior to getting fully squared up, hence his poor three-point field goal percentage 4 games in. But that is something that can easily be corrected, and more than likely will.

With cap-space and Lonzo Ball in the driver’s seat of a team that features some exciting young talent, the future is looking bright for the Lakers. Small forward Brandon Ingram seems ready to take the next step. Power forward Julius Randle looks like he is in shape for the first time in his life. Backup forwards Larry Nance and Kyle Kuzma will thrive in the open floor with ‘Zo leading the break. Center Ivica Zubac showed flashes of excellence at 19 years old in his rookie season. The off-season acquisitions of shooting guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and center Brook Lopez have been highly underrated. And with 6th man Jordan Clarkson, veteran Luol Deng, backup point guard Tyler Ennis, backup swingman Corey Brewer, rookies Thomas Bryant and Josh Hart rounding out the roster, it is safe to say that the Lakers’ arrow is pointing all the way up.

Hopefully, you were not one of the doubters who wrote Lonzo Ball off after the first game, because whether he wears Kobe’s Nikes, Harden’s Adidas, or whatever it may be.. Big Baller Brand takes no losses.

The ball era has officially begun.
Face-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
Fucky McFuckerson
Sicc OG
 
Fucky McFuckerson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 27,954
Propped 9,205 Times in 3,287 Posts
No, but Fultz is.
Fucky McFuckerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
Face-Me
Sicc OG
 
Face-Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 637
Propped 651 Times in 352 Posts
Quote:
Quote Originally Posted by Fucky McFuckerson View Post
No, but Fultz is.
lmao
Face-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:44 PM   #4
clutch city kid
Sicc OG
 
clutch city kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 462
Propped 375 Times in 237 Posts
Fultz is by far a superior overall player and its not even close, we saw that Lonzo literally has NO mid range game... the college tape didnt lie, his mid range game doesnt exist... his 3 pt shooting should improve but if it doesnt then teams are gonna just sit back and let him shoot it n collect rebounds... his play making ability is top notch and its been fun to watch that part of his game... if his defense doesnt improve then hes a genuine liability out there and thats a shame cause nobody with his god given abilities should be THAT terrible on defense... dude looks awkward even getting in a defensive stance... the kid should improve in all areas as he matures in the NBA and if he does then watch out cause hes got a lil J Kidd in him... im a Lakers fan so im hoping for the best but im not delusional, hes got a LONG way to go... please dont brag about summer league stats either lol they dont impress me
clutch city kid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following Users Gave Props To clutch city kid:
Old 07-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
Face-Me
Sicc OG
 
Face-Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 637
Propped 651 Times in 352 Posts
Quote:
Quote Originally Posted by clutch city kid View Post
Fultz is by far a superior overall player and its not even close, we saw that Lonzo literally has NO mid range game... the college tape didnt lie, his mid range game doesnt exist... his 3 pt shooting should improve but if it doesnt then teams are gonna just sit back and let him shoot it n collect rebounds... his play making ability is top notch and its been fun to watch that part of his game... if his defense doesnt improve then hes a genuine liability out there and thats a shame cause nobody with his god given abilities should be THAT terrible on defense... dude looks awkward even getting in a defensive stance... the kid should improve in all areas as he matures in the NBA and if he does then watch out cause hes got a lil J Kidd in him... im a Lakers fan so im hoping for the best but im not delusional, hes got a LONG way to go... please dont brag about summer league stats either lol they dont impress me
LOL...thats good.

Lonzo's three point shooting should improve? he shot 41% from three in college...and most of those was NBA threes from a couple feet behind the line.

Fultz ceiling is nowhere near Lonzo's. cmon brodie. duno how u can be a Laker fan and act so down on Zo's game.
Face-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
clutch city kid
Sicc OG
 
clutch city kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 462
Propped 375 Times in 237 Posts
Quote:
Quote Originally Posted by Face-Me View Post
LOL...thats good.

Lonzo's three point shooting should improve? he shot 41% from three in college...and most of those was NBA threes from a couple feet behind the line.

Fultz ceiling is nowhere near Lonzo's. cmon brodie. duno how u can be a Laker fan and act so down on Zo's game.



ok, please explain to me how Lonzo has a better all around game, please... and im not sure how hard this is for people to understand but what he did in college means jack shit now, yes u base talent off those achievements n all that but as of right now none of that matters... u can shoot 41% from 3 all he wants in college, means literally nothing now and that shot flat out wasnt falling at times was barely connecting with metal, u saw it and i saw it, dont act like it didnt happen.... and please dont post any summer league stuff lol those #s are meaningless as well... its all about consistency and development in the summer league and i saw a lil of both from him and sometimes none at all... Fultz is easily a better scorer, he can do it from places on the court that Lonzo can only dream of and thats a fact, literally a fact... defensively Fultz is better already, Lonzo was atrocious on defense at UCLA and vs summer league comp, thats not good... rebounding wont translate once the real big boys start playing again but i imagine Ball will still get a decent amount of them for a PG cause hes got a nose for it and thats great... seriously, there are reasons Fultz went 1st overall and was the consensus #1 overall pick, teams were trying to trade up to get him, at one point even my Lakers tried to trade up to get Fultz!!! lets not act like that didnt happen either... im sorry im a Lakers fan that is a realist and not a dickrider, Lonzo has hella to prove still just like all rookies but Fultz easily has the better all around game and every GM knows it, nobody was going out of their way to get the #2 pick lol it wasnt happening
clutch city kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #7
Face-Me
Sicc OG
 
Face-Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 637
Propped 651 Times in 352 Posts
Quote:
Quote Originally Posted by clutch city kid View Post
ok, please explain to me how Lonzo has a better all around game, please... and im not sure how hard this is for people to understand but what he did in college means jack shit now, yes u base talent off those achievements n all that but as of right now none of that matters... u can shoot 41% from 3 all he wants in college, means literally nothing now and that shot flat out wasnt falling at times was barely connecting with metal, u saw it and i saw it, dont act like it didnt happen.... and please dont post any summer league stuff lol those #s are meaningless as well... its all about consistency and development in the summer league and i saw a lil of both from him and sometimes none at all... Fultz is easily a better scorer, he can do it from places on the court that Lonzo can only dream of and thats a fact, literally a fact... defensively Fultz is better already, Lonzo was atrocious on defense at UCLA and vs summer league comp, thats not good... rebounding wont translate once the real big boys start playing again but i imagine Ball will still get a decent amount of them for a PG cause hes got a nose for it and thats great... seriously, there are reasons Fultz went 1st overall and was the consensus #1 overall pick, teams were trying to trade up to get him, at one point even my Lakers tried to trade up to get Fultz!!! lets not act like that didnt happen either... im sorry im a Lakers fan that is a realist and not a dickrider, Lonzo has hella to prove still just like all rookies but Fultz easily has the better all around game and every GM knows it, nobody was going out of their way to get the #2 pick lol it wasnt happening

foh homie, lonzo is a real pg.. fultz is just a scorer in a point guard body. lonzo has way better court vision and feel for the game, which is what u want from your pg. lonzo is the purest pg to enter the league since jason kidd. just wait and see.. we'll revisit the this thread soon and we'll sit back and laugh at your post together. there was also never a time we wanted to trade up for fultz lol. magic wanted ball all the way .. this been known.
Face-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #8
clutch city kid
Sicc OG
 
clutch city kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 462
Propped 375 Times in 237 Posts
Quote:
Quote Originally Posted by Face-Me View Post
foh homie, lonzo is a real pg.. fultz is just a scorer in a point guard body. lonzo has way better court vision and feel for the game, which is what u want from your pg. lonzo is the purest pg to enter the league since jason kidd. just wait and see.. we'll revisit the this thread soon and we'll sit back and laugh at your post together. there was also never a time we wanted to trade up for fultz lol. magic wanted ball all the way .. this been known.



ok so you are repeating the same shit i said?? lol that doesnt make u smart or clever lol... did i not say Lonzo is a better play maker?? yes i said that, i said EXACTLY that... once again though you have proven nothing about him being an all around better player... and to sit here and act like Fultz cant make plays is just stupid, dude averaged damn near 6 a game on a team void of talented scorers... you bought into the hype of Lonzo and thats fine, lots have, but im not stupid enough to sit here and say hes got a better all around game than Fultz... how is Fultz in a PG body?? do u not realize there are guys playing SG at the same height and weight?? lol im not even sure what u are talking ... there was never a time we made an offer for the #1 pick?? are u absolutely kidding me right now?? LMFAO YES WE DID!!! and we knew the #1 pick wasnt going to be Lonzo, the entire WORLD knew that Fultz was going #1 so do u think we made a trade offer to lose players to pick Lonzo #1 when we know we could have gotten him #2??


NBA Draft rumors: Lakers looking to deal for No. 1 pick to take Markelle Fultz | NBA | Sporting News


there are more than just that article out about it too... its literally KNOWN that we made an offer but we couldnt compete with what Philly offered... did u not read what Magic had to say about Fultz?? lol the fact im having to explain all of this to you shows you are just bumping your gums and riding a hype train... im sorry but what im speaking are facts and there is stuff to back it up, what you are saying are just opinions mixed in with some facts that dont trump anything Fultz accomplishes... why do u think MULTIPLE teams tried to trade to the #1 spot but not the #2 spot?? lol just think for a minute and then try and see if you can still be delusional enough to think Lonzo is better all around on the court lol i cant believe i had to explain all of this
clutch city kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:50 AM   #9
Face-Me
Sicc OG
 
Face-Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 637
Propped 651 Times in 352 Posts
Quote:
Quote Originally Posted by clutch city kid View Post
ok so you are repeating the same shit i said?? lol that doesnt make u smart or clever lol... did i not say Lonzo is a better play maker?? yes i said that, i said EXACTLY that... once again though you have proven nothing about him being an all around better player... and to sit here and act like Fultz cant make plays is just stupid, dude averaged damn near 6 a game on a team void of talented scorers... you bought into the hype of Lonzo and thats fine, lots have, but im not stupid enough to sit here and say hes got a better all around game than Fultz... how is Fultz in a PG body?? do u not realize there are guys playing SG at the same height and weight?? lol im not even sure what u are talking ... there was never a time we made an offer for the #1 pick?? are u absolutely kidding me right now?? LMFAO YES WE DID!!! and we knew the #1 pick wasnt going to be Lonzo, the entire WORLD knew that Fultz was going #1 so do u think we made a trade offer to lose players to pick Lonzo #1 when we know we could have gotten him #2??


NBA Draft rumors: Lakers looking to deal for No. 1 pick to take Markelle Fultz | NBA | Sporting News


there are more than just that article out about it too... its literally KNOWN that we made an offer but we couldnt compete with what Philly offered... did u not read what Magic had to say about Fultz?? lol the fact im having to explain all of this to you shows you are just bumping your gums and riding a hype train... im sorry but what im speaking are facts and there is stuff to back it up, what you are saying are just opinions mixed in with some facts that dont trump anything Fultz accomplishes... why do u think MULTIPLE teams tried to trade to the #1 spot but not the #2 spot?? lol just think for a minute and then try and see if you can still be delusional enough to think Lonzo is better all around on the court lol i cant believe i had to explain all of this


if fultz was so good, boston wouldn't have traded him
for tatum lmao .. lakers never made an offer, those are fake rumors. magic wanted lonzo all the way, the rest was either rumors or smokescreens. check vegas, odds are in favor for lonzo winning ROY.
Face-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Former Grizzlies point guard critically wounded Music Nfluenced Sports Center 5 07-22-2009 09:51 AM
Best NBA POINT GUARD so far.......... 8FIVE8 Sports Center 33 06-11-2009 01:48 PM
WTF!Baron Davis (Warrior's Point Guard) - One Shot THACRITIC408 Sports Center 8 03-06-2008 10:27 PM
Best point guard in the league..period I. Cold Sports Center 29 10-28-2007 11:34 PM




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Parts of this site powered by vBulletin Mods & Addons from DragonByte Technologies Ltd. (Details)
©2017 Siccness Network. All rights reserved.
Back to Top