LEBRON JAMES

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
C

CinFul-1

I think the Cavs will land him or the Nuggets. but with the lottery you never know, a good team may land him.

May 2, 2002
Stoudemire sets James' path
Phoenix rookie best at making transition from high school to the NBA

Knight Ridder Newspapers

MIAMI - There are those who insist high school standout LeBron James should seriously consider college before making the jump to the NBA.

Look at Kobe Bryant. He averaged fewer than eight points his rookie season and had trouble adjusting to the NBA lifestyle, they say.

Kevin Garnett was a twig his first season and could have used a season or two in college to develop his body, they say.

Kwame Brown is still not playing many minutes -- and he was the No. 1 pick -- they say.

Well, there is one high school-player-turned-pro who seems to have figured out how to make the adjustment quite smoothly: Phoenix's Amare Stoudemire. And it's him, not Bryant or Garnett or Brown or Tracy McGrady, whose example James should follow.

The power forward who played his final prep season at Cypress Creek High in Orlando, Fla., is defying detractors who insist the transition from high school to the NBA is too difficult for even the most talented player.

Stoudemire is averaging 10.4 points and 8.3 rebounds, drawing comparisons to such players as Moses Malone and Shawn Kemp (the skinny, Seattle version) -- and doing it after two years of high school basketball experience.

The 6-foot-10 Stoudemire had constant problems as a prep star, attending six schools before graduating. In that time, eligibility issues allowed him to play only two full seasons. Despite the problems, many saw the raw talent Stoudemire possessed and were certain he could make an immediate impact in the NBA.

``Player-wise, I thought he was better than Kwame Brown and those two guys that play in Chicago -- Tyson Chandler and Eddy Curry,'' said Theo McWhite, who coached Stoudemire in the summer of 2000. ``He's always played the power game. I think those other guys are a little bit more... I wouldn't say softer, but played a little bit more finesse. I think Amare's more of a natural power forward. I look at him like a Dale Davis or Antonio Davis.''

Said Stoudemire: ``Shawn Kemp was the player that I grew up watching, when he was with the SuperSonics. And after that, it was just Shaquille O'Neal. Both of them are dominating dunkers. They dunk so hard, and I tried to pattern my game after them.''

But it's not just his talent that's drawing rave reviews. One Suns official called Stoudemire the best draft pick in the franchise's history.

It's also his maturity that has many believing Stoudemire can become one of the league's dominant forwards for the next 10 to 15 years.

Nothing about Stoudemire says rookie.

Not his clothes: ``He doesn't wear hip-hop stuff or a lot of jewelry. He wears custom-made clothing, not a lot of jeans or T-shirts,'' Penny Hardaway said.

Not his demeanor: ``He has a star presence about him. That's not something you can fake,'' Suns president Bryan Colangelo said.

Not his work ethic: He asked former Heat assistant Marc Iavaroni, now with the Suns, to review tape with him after a poor performance.

He has also managed to stay grounded, which is something he says comes naturally because of his upbringing. Stoudemire's mother, Carrie, was often incarcerated during Stoudemire's youth, and he was forced to live with guardians and help care for his brother, Marwan.

Stoudemire rents a house for his brother in Scottsdale, Ariz., and his mother, who is serving a four-month sentence for a parole violation, will eventually join him.

Still, he stays focused on basketball. Suns coaches are working on low-post moves with Stoudemire because he has been doing most of his work on instincts. He also has been defending guards in practice so he can expand his game to all areas of the floor.

Though Stoudemire is already a force inside, he wants to be effective in every area. Even though he's only one year out of high school, the Suns see that potential already.

``He works hard every day,'' Colangelo said. ``He listens to the veteran players and the coaches. The notable characteristic about him is that he's eager to learn so he can get the ultimate prize. For him, that's to be considered one of the best.''

Stoudemire, originally projected as a mid-first-rounder when he declared for the draft, was the No. 9 pick.

``I don't think anybody else has done this -- played two years of high school, skipped a level, then played in the NBA and done well,'' he said.

Others, most notably James, should look to him as a model.

Apr 25, 2002
MB3 said:
I just hope the fakers won't get that guy.
Damn dog, sometimes hating on the Lakers just needs to rest.

He should definatley go to college. People saying he shouldnt so he doesnt risk a serious injury that will prevent him from going to the NBA, are you fucking kidding me? There is more to life then the NBA for cryin' out loud. If he does go to the NBA, I would like to see him on the Clippers. If not, I hope he goes to the worst team, cause Im always pullin for sorry team to get better. There would be nothing greater then to see every team near .500 and an intense playoff battle. And for the record, he is the best HIGHSCHOOL PLAYER in the nation.

B

Blackjack 1577

I think tha Cavs might get him. Shit even tha Lakers have a good chance of gettin him too

May 19, 2002
www.cdbaby.com
He will be the first pick of the draft next year to the team that wins the lottery (hopefully the Bulls), but he doesnt want to risk injury that would stop him from turnin pro, not because thats the only thing in life, but the money idiot! That will set him for life!! Money can let u have a good and comfortable life! Thats what they mean folks!! Its all about the dollar dollar bill!! But yes thee is more to life, but money makes life alot easier!! GOT EM!!!

B

Blackjack 1577

He ain't gonna be goin to college fa sho. There's just too much hype around him and there's too many people waitin for him to come to tha NBA. fuck, EVERYONES waitin for him to come!!!!!

All tha big shoe companies are getting him to sign a contract, he got another contract waiting for him in tha NBA, he's known all over tha world and shit, who can refuse. I bet if ya'll were in his shoes ya'll would go straight to tha NBA as well, I know I would tha choice is easy.

Apr 25, 2002
I'd be a bigger fan and more interested if he atleast went to college for 2 years. They already say he's the "best High School" player ever, why not try to be the "best College player ever"? I don't know. I'm just not big on people going to the pros right out of high school.

MB3

Sicc OG
Aug 26, 2002
I also hope a team like the cavs or the bulls will get him. I just think he should do what he thinks that is the best for him and don't listen to what sum fake friends and money hungry agents are telling him. But I think Czar is right like he often is cause it's all about the money so I think we'll see James play next year in the nba.

UGT

Sicc OG
Sep 15, 2002
Cranky said:
I'd be a bigger fan and more interested if he atleast went to college for 2 years. They already say he's the "best High School" player ever, why not try to be the "best College player ever"? I don't know. I'm just not big on people going to the pros right out of high school.

u must be a old fart then cuz i fuckin love dat shit people gettin hooked up str8 outa high school it seems only old peeps hate on that
________
NO2 VAPORIZER CHARGING INFO

May 9, 2002
UGT said:

u must be a old fart then cuz i fuckin love dat shit people gettin hooked up str8 outa high school it seems only old peeps hate on that
I'm 20..and i'd like to see him go to college...college BB is tha shit....LeBron James in March Madness?...that'd be tight

...that's why it was tight when EVERYONE went to college at least for a year....marbury, iverson, camby...that year was the shit

...just reminded me..haha..remember when UMASS was good?..ha

Apr 25, 2002
I'm 22......and Like Sniko said, it would be tight as fuck to see him playin' college ball. I think college basketball is more exciting anyway......