If Peyton wins the SB, will he be the greatest QB ever?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Will Peyton be the greatest QB ever with a win on SB Sunday?

• Yes he will be the G.O.A.T.

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • No, Montana is the G.O.A.T.

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Different eras, you can't compare

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Fuck Peyton

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Marino, Brady, Aikman, Favre, Elway, Unitas were better

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Fuck ESPN and their East Coast bias

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
Jan 5, 2006
I was listening to ESPN First Take podcast, and some people on there were saying Peyton will surpass everyone and be number 1.

As it stands, most see Montana as the greatest, then Brady number 2... However my gripe is this: Two different eras. How much more does the NFL protect their QB's than they did in the 80's and 90's?

I will admit I am a bit biased but Montana is 4/4 in Superbowls, Peyton and Brady are not, they are also protected much more by today's rules... a roughing the passer call, automatic 1st down etc is about 75% much more likely than it would've been back then, free first down. Another argument is that Montana benefited from Walsh and his supporting cast of Rice and the defense... really? Peyton has weapons too...

Jan 5, 2006
And if that were the case, why didn't the Cowboys continue dominating without the cap? or teams like the Giants, Bears, Packers, Raiders etc...No doubt he's a smart QB one of the smartest. Football is a team sport. Without a solid OLine Peyton does not get those completions. The ultimate goal every year is a Super Bowl right? you get there by winning, your statistics aren't shit if you can't win the Lombardi. I think he's now 11-11 which would put him at .500 winning percentage in the playoffs. Manning might as well say fuck the SB then and just continue piling on to his stats.

Jan 18, 2006
Well cuz there was no salary cap Montana was on much better teams then Manning was. Manning still yet to be on a team with one of the top defenses. Colts had some decent defensive teams but not that great. My argument has always been put Manning on the Steelers with the defense they had a few years ago and see how many Superbowls he wins. Tom Brady hasnt won a Superbowl since New England hasnt had such great defenses like the Patriots had back in 2005 and before

Apr 2, 2010
I get it, his preparation and football IQ is second to none. On paper and his play style I wouldn't disagree with anyone calling him the greatest.

But he makes some REALLY bad throws and in the past he's cracked under pressure (a majority of his career) to me all that matters is when a QB can really clutch a game, not force throws that end up being picks. So in my eyes, I don't feel that he is the greatest. I also think a majority of those miscues are due to him over analyzing every situation, sometimes you just gotta let the ball go and believe in yourself and your team which is why Favre is the GOAT to me.

May 7, 2013
33°
www.hoescantstopme.biz
Bradshaw & Montana most SB rings, so no, Peyton would not be the greatest Superbowl QB. Best regular season QB? Depends on what the measurement is, Warren Moon threw for more yards in professional football than any other NFL QB but never won a SB. In team sports there is no greatest, just greats IMO, its a team game and QBs can't do it without an o-line or receivers. With that said he had a memorable season for certain.

I voted Montana based on the options given...

I agree these QBs have it way too easy in the current era, too protected. 45 years ago Manning would have been Deacon Jones' lunch meat and his career would have been dunzo.

Last edited:

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
Montana, Brady, Elway, Manning.

It isn't necessarily about Championships because this is a team sport but being clutch is such a huge part of how you're measured. Brady has failed in the last few years big time, but he's still performed when it mattered more than Manning.

Feb 10, 2006
Its a totally different era. Its not just the roughing the passer calls, its also the incomplete pass bullshit calls to save Brady and the change in intentional grounding calls. If the intentional grounding calls were the same today as they were back in the days, there might not be a Montana to Dwight Clark pass back in the days. It forced a QB to make tougher calls, but not anymore. Montana #1, then Bradshaw, the Brady like a million points down at #3. But Peyton is just another very good QB. He threw for 400 yards and only got 2 TDs against the Pats! before it was like 2 TDs per 150 yrds cuz a muthafucka worked hard for them.

Oct 31, 2003
SAN DIEGO
SOUTHEASTSANDIEGO.COM
i agree with what a lot of people are saying about different eras......also, if a QB's greatness is going to be measured by the amount of championships won, alot of great QB's will be left out. (i.e. Fouts, Marino) On the flip side, people like Big Ben and Eli have won rings because of the talent around them. Big Ben and Eli were both carried by their defenses and running games when the each won their first rings.

Just ask yourself this question: At this point in his career, At his age, coming back from a devastating neck injury, how many of you would start a team with Manning at QB?

Feb 10, 2006
Today, I would cuz the NFL wouldn't allow manning to get hit like they did back then. But the Cahrgers let go of Brees based on a shoulder injury so who knows. Cant't blame anyone for taking a chance on very good QBs

Coach E. No

Jesus es Numero Uno
Mar 30, 2013
i agree with what a lot of people are saying about different eras......also, if a QB's greatness is going to be measured by the amount of championships won, alot of great QB's will be left out. (i.e. Fouts, Marino) On the flip side, people like Big Ben and Eli have won rings because of the talent around them. Big Ben and Eli were both carried by their defenses and running games when the each won their first rings.

Just ask yourself this question: At this point in his career, At his age, coming back from a devastating neck injury, how many of you would start a team with Manning at QB?
Funny you say that, because I'm still bummed that the 49ers missed on not getting Manning when they were in the running for it. Kaepernick was a sick draft choice where he was chosen in the draft, but short term, the 49ers probably win 2 championships with Manning at the helm