Felix Hernandez and the Cy Young

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
The M's stink. Lets just get that out of the way first and foremost. With that said, Felix is one of the very few reasons I continue to watch this putrid team. He is money. He has also been in CYA talks. Some say he wont win because of his W/L. Other say he SHOULD win because of everything ELSE stat wise. Here is a story on ESPN about the situation.

Greinke won it last year with an OK W/L record. However, the committee realized he was working with one of the worst offenses, and with the lowest RS in the MLB. Well, Felix is doing the same thing this year. Seattle is on pace to have the worst offensive numbers as a whole since 1973.

Felix Hernandez's Cy Young stats

By Johnette Howard
Special to ESPN.com
Archive

I love baseball. As a writer, I've always loved the Bill James creation story too: Kansas City night watchman self-publishes his deep-thinking observations in something he called "The Baseball Abstract," gets discovered the way starlets used to at soda fountain counters and goes on to a blockbuster career as a best-selling author, prophet/heretic, and, now, a senior advisor for the Boston Red Sox.

But as a fan, I never paid much attention to the skirmishes between the sabermetrics movement that James boosted 30 years ago and the traditionalists who complain the numerologists are flogging the heartbeat out of the game. Knock yourselves out arguing, I always figured. I'm allergic to math. Until this week, if you'd rattled off some advanced sabermetrics terms such as WAR, VORP, RISP, WHIP, I might have said, "Love ya, miss ya, see ya, pal" and run the other away.

But that was B.F. -- or before Felix -- and before I called Bill James, The Man himself, because I've been following the noisy, blasphemous sounding, still snowballing debate about whether Seattle Mariners ace Felix Hernandez should win the Cy Young Award this year, even if he finishes eight or nine victories behind current 19-game winner CC Sabathia of the New York Yankees.

Some devoted number crunchers are championing King Felix's case and, against all odds, I feel like I've finally drank the Kool-Aid. I'm right there with them.

Sabathia would be a perfectly fine choice to win the Cy Young.

But he wouldn't be the best choice. Hernandez would.

Even if Hernandez's record with the lousy Mariners is now 11-10.

This seems crazy, I know. Just to make sure I'm not nuts, I called James Wednesday. And sure enough, James does have an opinion about Hernandez's candidacy.

James is used to explaining these things to stat-geek skeptics or late-coming converts like me, who get in his presence and start pre-emptively confessing how we never felt a burning need to know that Miguel Tejada's diminished defensive range can be measured based on a sophisticated formula that takes into account 64 zones on the field.

Who comes up with this stuff? Why should it be believed?

When told I've always had this mental image that there are hundreds of Bill James acolytes caught up in some secret arms race amongst themselves, all of them working feverishly late into the night to invent some exotic signature stat that would be their immortal contribution to the game, James laughed and said, "Well-l-l-l, they're not 'my' acolytes. But the rest of [sabermetrical analysis] is kind of like that.

"Did you ever read the book about the building of Dreadnought?" James said. "It was the biggest, most powerful warship in the years before World War I. We're all kind of like that. We're all trying to build the world's biggest, most powerful stat that will explain everything. It's re-inventing the wheel. I do it myself. We're all re-inventing ways to look at the same old stuff."

Yes, but the conclusions sabermatricians make are often far different -- sometimes head-spinningly so. Even James agrees some metrical analysis is just plain tedious. But what James was too modest to say Wednesday is some metrics are so illuminating and demonstrably true they've changed the way everyone from players to fans to executives thinks about the game. Some numbers de-code patterns or unlock truths we didn't know were there.

Of course, the obvious joke is after reading too much analyses, you're ready for psychoanalysis.

The counter-intuitive case for Hernandez's Cy Young candidacy is like that.

The argument for Hernandez challenges the long-held baseball belief that starting pitchers should be judged on wins and losses, much like quarterbacks are in football.

No one has ever won the Cy Young Award in the National or American League with less than 15 wins.

But when San Francisco's Tim Lincecum (15) and Kansas City's Zack Greinke (16) both won the awards last season even though there were other pitchers with more wins, it was seen as more proof of the increased foothold that sabermetricians have carved out in the game. Their argument that wins are an "overvalued" measure of a pitcher seemed to have gained some traction. On his post-victory conference call, Greinke actually talked about FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching). Lincecum said what he cares most about is his WHIP.

Still, if the sabermetrics wing can pull this off and finally get Hernandez his first Cy Young by waving around more sophisticated numbers and analyses, it would be its greatest coup yet.

Because what King Felix's advocates have to persuade voters to do is ignore wins more than ever and value things like this: After Sunday's win, Hernandez ranked first in the AL in innings pitched (219.1), strikeouts (209) and quality starts (27) and he was tied for first in number of starts (30). He was second in ERA (2.30) and third in opponents' batting average (.219). Still not impressed? The more advanced argument is Hernandez either leads or sits at the top among AL starters in every meaningful sabermetric pitching stat too: first in WAR for pitchers (5.7), first in +WPA (16.67), first in Adjusted Pitching Wins (4.3), first in opponent OPS (.597), second in Adjusted ERA+ (176), third in FIP (2.96), third in xFIP (3.25), third in WHIP (1.09).

The Mariners, by far the worst offensive team in the league, are averaging 3.32 runs per game for Hernandez, the second-worst support any AL starter has gotten. In his 10 losses, they've scored just 10 runs. Sabathia, on the other hand, has had 24 starts in which the Yankees scored four or more runs, and 18 of his 19 wins came in those games, plus one loss and five no decisions.

But there's also this: The 24-year-old Hernandez wins many people's very unscientific eyeball test too. After watching Hernandez shut down the Yankees last September, Sabathia himself said he turned to Yankees teammate Andy Pettitte and said, "If I had a vote, I would vote for Hernandez. That's the best pitcher in the league to me."

This year, Hernandez was 3-0 against the Yankees with a 0.35 ERA.

James says Hernandez's past two years combined compare favorably to the great 1962-63 seasons Don Drysdale had.

Taken all together, Hernandez has a compelling case. Some of Hernandez's advocates go so far as to argue it would be an injustice if Hernandez were overlooked for the Cy Young for a second straight year.

So where does James fall?

"Well, I'm a huge Greinke fan, and still, I argued a year ago that Hernandez was the best pitcher in league," James says. "This year, I don't think in any way it's a rejection of sabermetrical analysis at all if Sabathia wins this thing. Sabathia is a great pitcher.

"But if I had a vote, I might vote for Hernandez when this is over, just on the theory that when you shake out all the luck as best you can, he may be the best pitcher in the league again. But do I think enough people will vote for him? No."

Still, The Man has spoken. All the numbers don't lie.

Another endorsement for The King.

Johnette Howard is a contributing columnist to ESPN.com and ESPNNewYork.com, and is the author of "The Rivals: Chris Evert vs. Martina Navratilova, Their Epic Duels and Extraordinary Friendship." She can be reached at [email protected].

Feb 14, 2004
Joe Morgan explains why Felix doesn't deserve Cy Young

Joe Morgan – the ESPN color man who drives a certain segment of the baseball world insane with his often oversimplified and sometimes flat-out wrong assertions about the game – has chimed in on the Cy Young race.

Michael Rand of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune interviewed the Hall of Famer and two-time Emmy winner.

He posted some outtakes on his RandBall blog Friday.

Here's what Morgan had to say about Felix Hernandez and why he shouldn't win the Cy Young Award. (Yes, I know he says, "I'm not saying he shouldn't," but then he goes on the say he shouldn't):

People are saying (Felix) Hernandez should win. I'm not saying he shouldn't. But how are you going to judge what he would have done if he was on the Yankees. It's tougher to pitch for the Yankees and win or the Twins than it is Seattle. All individual awards are team awards. My MVP awards were won because my team helped me. … I think the problem I have, though, with some statistics is we start to individualize the players. I don't want that. It's still a team game. ... When you start to individualize things like that, it takes away the team concept from the game. It's like a pitcher who goes out and pitches five innings every game and doesn't give up anything. Is he better than the guy who pitches nine innings and loses one every once in a while? The guy who pitches nine innings helps the bullpen. The guy who pitches nine innings makes it easier on the manager for the next few games. There are so many things that are involved other than just throwing a number on something. If people think I'm not for that, then they're right. Because I still think it's a team game.

Four things:

• Can anyone possibly argue with a straight face that it's "tougher to pitch for the Yankees and win or the Twins than it is Seattle?" I know Morgan was probably referencing the pressure of being in the spotlight in a huge market, but does anyone doubt that Felix would have 8-10 more wins with the Yankees offense supporting him? Does anyone think CC Sabathia would have more than Felix's 13 wins if he pitched for the Mariners?

• Morgan says, "All individual awards are team awards." No, they're not. The Cy Young Award is about as individual as awards get. A little of the credit goes to the defense, but we are talking about the quintessential one-on-one matchup in team sports outside of a penalty kick in soccer. The problem with the Cy Young is that it's, necessarily, awarded by voters. Unfortunately, too many voters weigh win-loss records too heavily. I'm not one to say a pitcher's record should not be a factor, but it should not be more important than ERA, strikeouts and quality starts, to name a few. Imagine if voters got to pick the batting champion? (Sorry Carlos Gonzalez. You hit .338 for the Rockies this season but you didn't make the playoffs. I'll have to give my vote to Joey Votto because the Reds had more wins and they made the playoffs. After all, the batting title is a team award.) Nonsense.

• Morgan says, "When you start to individualize things like that, it takes away the team concept from the game." No it doesn't. That's why there are standings and playoffs and the World Series. The individual awards are so secondary that they could never take away "the team concept from the game." Any player – or fan for that matter – would trade a Cy Young Award for a World Series ring.

• Morgan says a pitcher who goes deep into games and loses occasionally is better than a guy who throws five scoreless innings every outing. Felix is Morgan's kind of guy. Among American League starters, he ranks first in ERA (2.27), first in innings pitched (249.2), first in strikeouts (232), first in quality starts (30), first in opponents' batting average (.212), tied for first in starts (34) and third in complete games (6). Does that sound like a guy who "goes out and pitches five innings every game and doesn't give up anything?" No. It's the opposite.

http://blog.seattlepi.com/baseball/archives/223369.asp

Feb 14, 2004
The Cy Young Award is an honor given annually in baseball to the best pitchers in Major League Baseball (MLB), one each for the American League (AL) and National League (NL). The award was first introduced in 1956 by Baseball Commissioner Ford Frick in honor of Hall of Fame pitcher Cy Young, who died in 1955. The award was originally given to the single best pitcher in the major leagues, but in 1967, after the retirement of Frick, the award was given to one pitcher in each league.

Each league's award is voted on by members of the Baseball Writers Association of America, with two representatives from each team, which means 28 ballots are cast for the American League winner, and 32 ballots are cast for the National League. Each voter places a vote for first, second, and third place among the pitchers of each league. The formula used to calculate the final scores is a weighted sum of the votes. The pitcher with the highest score in each league wins the award. If two pitchers receive the same number of votes, the award is shared. The current formula started in the 1970 season. Before that, writers only voted for the best pitcher and used a formula of one point per vote.

via wiki...

Feb 14, 2004
Record aside, give the Cy to Felix

Article from Sep 24, 2010 9:25 AM ET

That should do it.

Mariners right-hander Felix Hernandez should win the American League Cy Young Award. Frankly, the race no longer is even close.

Yankees lefty CC Sabathia? His 3.26 ERA after a rough start against the Rays on Thursday night is nearly a full run higher than Hernandez’s 2.31.

Red Sox righty Clay Buchholz? He has thrown 76 fewer innings than Hernandez. Rays lefty David Price? Forty-two fewer.

I’m not entirely comfortable with a 12-12 pitcher winning the Cy, even though I largely discount wins as a meaningful statistic.

I’m also not comfortable voting for a pitcher who operates with a lower degree of difficulty while pitching for a non-contender.

But tell me the alternative.

Tell me how it would be fair to penalize Hernandez for pitching for one of the worst offensive teams in the past 40 years.

People inside and outside the sport will be jolted if Hernandez wins the award with a record at or near .500. But the circumstances are so odd, the choice will be entirely justified.

Hernandez’s Mariners are on pace to score 513 runs. The last AL team to score fewer than 513 was the 1971 California Angels, according to STATS LLC. The last NL team to do it was the ‘71 San Diego Padres.

That’s right, the 2010 the Mariners could score the fewest runs of any AL team in the DH era, which began in 1973.

The M’s were at it again Thursday, getting shut out by the Blue Jays, 1-0, as Hernandez pitched a two-hit complete game, allowing his only run on Jose Bautista’s 50th homer.

Hernandez’s run support — a little more than three per nine innings — is the worst in the AL; Sabathia’s support, which is nearly twice as great, is the third best.

Oh, but this gets better — or worse, depending upon your perspective.

The Mariners have not scored even one run behind Hernandez in seven of his past 13 starts. Not one!

There is an old baseball adage for a pitcher who receives consistently dreadful run support: “Sometimes, you’ve just got to pitch a shutout.”

What is Hernandez supposed to do, allow fewer than zero runs?

Sabathia gave up seven runs, all earned, Thursday night. Hernandez has allowed that many earned runs in his last nine starts combined.

The award is not for Most Valuable Pitcher or best pitcher for a contending team. It is for best pitcher, period. And this season, Hernandez is that guy.

King Felix leads the AL in a number of meaningful categories — innings, ERA, strikeouts, opponents’ OPS. He does not lead in many of the rate stats, but let’s not nitpick.

The Mariners’ public-relations department came up with this little gem: In the past 20 years, 13 pitchers have led their league in ERA and strikeouts. Twelve won the Cy — and the one who did not was Pedro Martinez in 2002, despite being 20-4 with a 2.26 ERA.

Martinez’s ERA was nearly a half-run per game better than that of the winner, Barry Zito. Martinez pitched his home games at Fenway Park, a more hitter-friendly venue than the Oakland Coliseum. But voters were swayed by Zito’s 23 wins — and perhaps by the fact that he had pitched 30 more innings than Martinez.

Only seven years later, voters — with a big assist from sabermetricians — punctured the myth of the almighty win once and for all.

Zack Grienke, a 16-game winner, won the AL Cy. Tim Lincecum, a 15-game winner, won the NL award. Lincecum’s victory total was the lowest ever for a Cy Young Award-winning starting pitcher in a full season.

There’s your precedent.

Hernandez will finish with no more than 14 wins. His season has not been as dominant as Greinke’s 2009 campaign when judged by ERA-plus, a statistic that measures a pitcher’s ERA against the league average and adjusts it for ballpark factors. But Hernandez’s performance is roughly equivalent to what Lincecum’s was last season.

Which is to say, plenty good enough.

The Hernandez vs. Sabathia debate has been raging for a good month, breaking down along the now-predictable old school/new school lines. Sabermetricians can be a little, uh, strident, not to mention over the top with their disdain for wins. But their views often are enlightening, and in this case they happen to be right.

The race is over. Sabathia failed to keep it close.

Felix Hernandez, whatever his record is, should win the Cy Young.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/King-Felix-Hernandez-deserves-Cy-Young-award-092310

May 9, 2002
CC has to pitch againt the AL East with better hitting thus a higher ERA IMO but Felix is hella dope and I look forward to seeing him in pinstrips soon.
Sorry, but this theory has already been debunked. Ill have to dig up the article, but Felix has played overall BETTER competition than CC. Besides, CC doesnt have to pitch against his own team, and BOS, TOR are both only above average teams, while the O's are awful. IN fact, CC has pitched against the O's 6 times this year ALONE.