49ers vs Rams 12/21/08

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005

The 49ers head to St. Louis this weekend for their final road contest of the season against the Rams.

The 49ers last beat St. Louis on November 16 in a 35-16 lopsided victory at Candlestick Park. The defense forced three consecutive turnovers that the offense turned into 21 points.

NINERS SHOULD WIN THIS! LETS GO 6-9 try to get to 7-9 LETS GOOO NINERS

PoLLo LoC831

NINER EMPIRE
Mar 20, 2005
49ers' Gore a game-time decision
http://www.mercurynews.com/49ersheadlines/49ers/ci_11274469?nclick_check=1

Frank Gore missed another practice Friday, but the 49ers kept a glimmer of hope that the running back would be ready to face the St. Louis Rams.

Gore put in his most extensive work since suffering a sprained ankle Dec. 7.

It wasn't much. Gore tested the injury under the supervision of the team's training staff.

"He just warmed up a little more, stretched it a little bit more," Coach Mike Singletary said. "We're hoping for the best. He's had a lot of rest this week and last week. Hopefully, we can get some response there."

Singletary listed Gore's status as questionable and said it would be a game-time decision. That was the same scenario heading into last weekend's game against Miami, when Gore didn't even bother suiting up.

Gore needs 22 rushing yards to become the first 49ers running back to reach 1,000 for a third straight season. The 49ers might be tempted to hold him off St. Louis' artificial surface and let the running back return for the season finale against the Washington Redskins on Dec. 28 at Candlestick Park.

If Gore can't go this week, the 49ers say they are comfortable with DeShaun Foster, who was solid as the starter against the Dolphins. Foster had 18 carries for 76 yards.

"I thought he was outstanding. I wish we could have gotten him the ball a little bit more," offensive coordinator Mike Martz said. "He had some runs where he just moved the whole pile."

Players credit some of the 49ers' recent improved play to Singletary's decision to simplify things on defense. After years of indecisiveness over their base alignment, the 49ers are almost exclusively a 3-4 team.

"We're basically sticking with what we do well," defensive end Justin Smith said.

At the beginning of the season, Smith lined up all over the field — linebacker, end, nose guard. Lately, he is just lining up as right end. That plan gives more playing time to linebacker Parys Haralson, who has a team-high seven sacks in eight starts.

"It's basically a way to keep Parys Haralson on the field, and I definitely don't have a problem with that," Smith said. "He's playing really good football and deserves to be out there starting like he is."

The road doesn't look quite as daunting as it did earlier in the season. According to Stats, Inc., home teams went 74-42 (.638) over the first eight weeks. Since Week 9, road teams hold a 54-53-1 record (.505).

In other injury news, tackle Adam Snyder (ankle) practiced on a limited basis and is listed as questionable. Linebacker Ahmad Brooks (back) did not practice all week and is also listed as questionable.

Allen Rossum (ankle) is expected to return punts for the first time since Nov. 23. "He's good to go. Yes, sir," Singletary said.

Rich

Sicc OG
Jul 22, 2003
^^^
I don't think Al Davis has hired a defensive minded coach before.

Anyways, I hope Gore plays because I want the 9ers to finish the season strong.

Mar 26, 2006
its better if they rest gore and show they can win without him

but for next year, id love it if Mike built the team similar to the 85 Bears, might take a while though :p

Jul 24, 2008
even if gore plays, he wont play much....foster will get most of the handoffs. go niners! i hope they air it out against this shitty defense
Not with Hill. Well maybe, he had like 45 passes last week and we were still 20 yards away from the W.
If we lose...