Omar Cruz Interview [Talks about the Album,MTV, being A Hispanic Rapper and more]

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jun 26, 2007
Chronic Vacation sits down with one of the most promising artists on the West Coast for our first exclusive interview. Omar Cruz will tell you about filming the video to his latest single “To The Top” with Frankie J, his new MTV3 show “Pimpeando,” and some exciting details about his debut album “Sign Of The Cruz.” Continue on to read the interview..

CV.Com: How are you Omar?

Omar Cruz: I’m doing well, how are you?

CV.Com: I’m well, thanks. To start things off and to give the fans a look into your life, what is the first thing Omar Cruz does when he wakes up in the morning?

Omar Cruz: I thank God that I woke up to see another day.

CV.Com: Tell us about your focus and the mind state you’re in when heading to the studio.

Omar Cruz: I’m focusing on my album, “The Sign of the Cruz,” and making a record that not only the West Coast will be proud of, but a record that will change the way people look at Latinos in hip-hop. I worked with everyone from J.R. Rotem, Hi-Tek, and Cool & Dre, to cats in my own camp like Rome, Julian Bunneta, and Javie Lopez. The album is crazy and also features The Game, Frankie J, and more.

It’s an epic album which is bringing back that aura of the golden era in Hip-Hop when you could play an album from 2Pac or Ice Cube and you knew what that man was going through in his life at that time and you understood more about that person and his struggles. It’s not like putting out an album for a ringtone; I don’t make ringtone music.

CV.Com: The production definitely sounds hot. You mentioned having Frankie J on the album. Tell us about your new single with Frankie, “To the Top.”

Omar Cruz: “To the Top” is a record produced by Julian Bunneta that I did about a year ago. It’s a struggle record and a celebration of the contrast of it all being the dream which became reality. It sounds like a feel good record but the lyrics don’t include bullshit. I’m talking about what I had to go through in my life.

The video was directed by Wilmer Valderrama and is taking off on MTV. The contrast between my last video, “Hang with My Doggz,” where I was just with my homies, this new video is showing growth. It’s giving the opportunity for people to see me in a different light. Tupac’s brother was even at the video shoot! Shouts out to Mopreme.

A lot of motherfuckers don’t mention me when talking about the top 5 MC’s on the West Coast, but I don’t give a fuck. I am going to do what I do and they will feel me at the end of it all.

CV.Com: Tell us about getting Wilmer Valderrama to direct the video.

Omar Cruz: I’ve been in Hollywood for a minute and LuLu, who has a background in movie and television production, worked with Wilmer on a film. I got one of my homeboys to teach that motherfucker (Wilmer Valderrama) how to be a thug. (Laughs) Wilmer and I grew close and he loved that record. He approached me about directing the video. The song bubbled and the rest is history.

CV.Com: We’re talking about the album a whole lot. What’s going on with it at this time?

Omar Cruz: The album is 95% done. We were going to release it this year, but MTV hollered at Interscope for me to host this show titled “Pimpeando” and I accepted it. We decided to postpone the album because this TV show can reach millions of new fans. The show has been a success and is doing well on MTV. We’re gearing up to release the album in ’09.

CV.Com: Tell us about your relationship with MTV and the new car show.

Omar Cruz: I wasn’t crazy about hosting a show at first because I’m an MC, I don’t host TV shows. You can kind of call it a spin-off of “Pimp My Ride” minus the fact that I don’t go to people’s houses, knock on their doors and put a fish tank in their Civic. It’s more about pulling up in a Benz. I bring [the guests] into the world of drifting, low-riding and so on. It’s a lifestyle show. I’m grateful to be apart of the MTV family.

CV.Com: How do you think this will help you gain new fans while keeping your core audience happy?

Omar Cruz: My core audience will always be there. When Eddie was at Dub (Dubcnn) he was one of the first motherfuckers to show me love. A lot of motherfuckers that have been showing me love will be proud of what I‘m doing. All my previous mixtapes have lead to this point. It’s a movement with BYI and Interscope. I know what I’m doing because in the grand scheme of things, I’m trying to etch my name in hip-hop.

Look at Lil’ Wayne. He did everything he could do to get that million sold in his first week. I’m doing what I have to do to reach my peoples. What better way to do that then to reach millions every week through MTV?

CV.Com: In case the fans are curious, what is your favorite meal?

Omar Cruz: My favorite meal would have to consist of seafood. I like lobster and shrimp with a nice beer to wash it down with. If I can eat period, I’m grateful. I know a lot of people out there which are starving.

CV.Com: Since “The Sign Of The Cruz” is coming out in ’09, have you started thinking about what the next single may be?

Omar Cruz: This one record I just finished a couple of days ago is potentially the next single. I can’t really talk about it, but best believe Chronic Vacation might be one of the first places to get it.

May 14, 2002
www.Straight-Up.info
The truth is that your ass should have figured out by now that pratically no1 on this forum gives a fuck about Omar Cruz. This is the East CO CO records forum, where we talk about East CO CO & other Northern topics. Maybe your ass needs to go jump on the Southern California section. Your ass ever thought of that? I saw the only other post you made was in the bart section & about Southern Cali artists. Do you need step by step directions?

Aug 20, 2003
The truth is that your ass should have figured out by now that pratically no1 on this forum gives a fuck about Omar Cruz. This is the East CO CO records forum, where we talk about East CO CO & other Northern topics. Maybe your ass needs to go jump on the Southern California section. Your ass ever thought of that? I saw the only other post you made was in the bart section & about Southern Cali artists. Do you need step by step directions?
DONT WASTE YOUR TIME HOMIE.THIS FOOLS A BLOCK HEAD.ONE DAY HE WILL RELIZE NO ONE ON THIS FORUM GIVE'S A SHIT.

A

AztecaCV

Just don't post in these threads no more, let them die off to the bottom of the page.

Jun 26, 2007
look at the views on these threads lol yea your right nobody cares ha ha

see you in the next thread tell me how much you don't care yet your in the threads commenting on something you don't care about, man save the dumb shit the views says it all not to mention the mods ain't tripping so stop your crying people checking for the shit because I've been getting messages from vatos asking about omar & B.Y.I or how they can contact them to do business so cut that shit out you in here cuz you care if you did'nt care you would not even enter the thread in the first place.... its just eating you up inside to see a Hispanic rapper from LA being promoted in here so you fools bring up all this negative bullshit ...asking the mods to ban me or delete the topics, the mods see I'm not in here hating or posting nothing negative am just promoting a artist.... this is a northern cali, norteno forum but music is music ese you might be tripping but there might be people in here that love to see there own raza come up...this is the biggest situation a chicano rap artist in cali has ever had so if you with the hating shit you can miss me with all that bullshit..do you see me in here net banging talking about gang issues I'm just here to promote the homie and that's it

gracias to all the gente that's showing support to the whole B.Y.I team

MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT COMING SOON

May 14, 2002
www.Straight-Up.info
What I care about is seeing dumb posts like your's taking up our space, but fuck it. I ain't crying over it, so guess I'll just have to ignore your ass next time. I know I ain't 1 of the heads asking for you to get banned or for your threads to get deleted, but your thread can be deleted. Just trying to guide you to a forum where this topic belongs. Maybe even in the open forum, but this music doesn't belong in here.

Nov 1, 2005
this aint for no fuckin music fans..half the threads in here are dedicated to dead busters.check how many r.i.p. threads are in here..hows that music related?fuckin snowflake...btw..im waiting for someone to post ur picture with u wearing an old,dirty fila t-shirt with the neck stretched out..lol

Oct 12, 2004
SHIT I WAS KINDA WONDERIN WHAT DUDES MUSIC SOUNDED LIKE, BUT SINCE HE CLEARED IT OUT THAT HES FROM "SMELL A" I WONT EVEN BOTHER, THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP AND KEEP THAT RAT ASS SHIT IN THE SEWER WHERE IT BELONGS FUCKIN CHANKLAS!

May 14, 2002
www.Straight-Up.info
this aint for no fuckin music fans..half the threads in here are dedicated to dead busters.check how many r.i.p. threads are in here..hows that music related?fuckin snowflake...btw..im waiting for someone to post ur picture with u wearing an old,dirty fila t-shirt with the neck stretched out..lol
It's music & Northern related. Get a life for real, a real 1. Stop jacking off to pic's of us.