anyone else think homeboy rap fell off after woodie died?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Sep 16, 2011
Yea I wasn't feeling Lou E Lou's solo that much. That and Woodie's Solo only had a few good songs but the few good songs on Woodies shit made the CD a classic regardless. Even the bad songs were fixed by Woodie and are good now that I listen to them on youtube.

Aug 19, 2004
Demonz N My Sleep was a very good cd. The only bad thing was there were a few non-Woodie produced beats, which the label insisted he use, if I remember correctly.

Lou-E-Lou is another good rapper from that camp. He had some classics on the Northern Expozure albums but I remember hearing one song starting off with "114% real NIGGA," and I put the cd back on the shelf. Some of the beats I wasn't feeling either.

Feb 13, 2011
Woodie set the bar way too high, for all those he paved the way for. DRF was wack as fuck period! Don't confuse popularity with talent. Honestly, homeboy music never fell off because it was never on.

I thought that Lou-E-Lou solo was firme.

Sep 16, 2011
Woodie set the bar way too high, for all those he paved the way for. DRF was wack as fuck period! Don't confuse popularity with talent. Honestly, homeboy music never fell off because it was never on.

I thought that Lou-E-Lou solo was firme.
I wouldn't call them wack as fuck but I feel you because I never go out of my way to dig up and old DRF CD to put in my Monte Carlo lol but Woodie gets played to this day.

Penetentary Chances was almost a classic tho' IMO. Minorty Militia 1 and 2 where dope. A bunch of DRF music was hard but they put out waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much garbage with it so the good shit will not be remembered.

$ileNt_eNe_ATL

Jefe De Los Pollos
Aug 12, 2005
Veteranos and penitentiary chances are classics in my book along with chicano chronicles. Dyno has/had talent he had that whole carnalismo vibe in his music which made him more universal as an artist an he appealed to more than "homeboys" He is the reason drf got popular.. Lou e lou cd sucked major huevos

VERSACERO

smoking meth with steve
Mar 14, 2004
I wouldn't call them wack as fuck but I feel you because I never go out of my way to dig up and old DRF CD to put in my Monte Carlo lol but Woodie gets played to this day.

Penetentary Chances was almost a classic tho' IMO. Minorty Militia 1 and 2 where dope. A bunch of DRF music was hard but they put out waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much garbage with it so the good shit will not be remembered.
What year monte you got?

Sep 16, 2011
Veteranos and penitentiary chances are classics in my book along with chicano chronicles. Dyno has/had talent he had that whole carnalismo vibe in his music which made him more universal as an artist an he appealed to more than "homeboys" He is the reason drf got popular.. Lou e lou cd sucked major huevos
Yea Chicano Chronicles was my shit back then for real.

IDK if I could call this a classic but it was the very first Chicano tape that I really felt. I use to bump this shit non stop going to school everyday.

From the Barrio with Love

Even tho' the sound quality sucked on some songs it was the first Norte tape that everybody had back then. The only other chicano shit was Lighter Shade of Brown and Frost and Cypress Hill before DRF came out.

Apr 3, 2008
HOMEBOY RAP (pretty much most bay area rap) FELL OFF WHEN THEY STARTED CALLING IT HOMEBOY RAP... either you can rap or you cant.. those that cant should just suck it up and get out the way cause they the ones fuckin it up for people that actually have talent. now with the homeboy rap genre no talent mufukkas with a computer and a mic think just cause they are homeboys think they fall into this category. they fukkin it up.. they want to be in the spotlight and hog it instead of being humble, biting they lip and let real talent shine fukkin 90s babys..you dont see, for example, livewire, e40, glp, the figgaz, you dont see them categorizing themselves as black rap or equipto as asian rap.. either your an artist or your not.. and just cause you got a coloring book and a box of crayons dont make you an artist.. im just sayin thoe, if you cant be real to yourself, who can you be real to?

Aug 20, 2003
The " stay solid" album will drop cinco de mayo this year. This will be a hard album with a message....

Moreno's bad intentions, and the strangulation pt 6 "back to tha trunk" will drop this year also. Dont give up on the mofos still making music we still got heat! Stay solid!!!!

Aug 19, 2004
Woodie set the bar way too high, for all those he paved the way for. DRF was wack as fuck period!
I started listening to Darkroom late but their early stuff was actually really good. Plus they had some very talented rappers in their group: Tokztero, Lil Wyno, Never, Hurrikaine J, Sir Dyno, etc. After their deal with Dog Day ended, Darkroom was just Sir Dyno, Crooked and Duke, and all the subsequent releases weren't very good at all.

I agree, that the East Co Co camp and affiliates set the bar.

Feb 13, 2011
^^^^All those Africanos you mention are wack as fuck too.
Only one from DRF that had talent was Drew. Everybody else were wack and studio gangsters.
Oh yea that Lou-E-Lou cd shits on anything DRF album!

Jul 29, 2009
East Palo Alto, Ca
yes.... and most rappers now a days need to worry about making there own stye of music and sticking to it like woodie and be known for providing that kind of music. Whenever i slap woodie its because im gong to be slapping some deep, gangsta, lyrical music around town. If ima be slappn some deep sleep ima be slappn some mobb real norte shit. And now a days niggas be trying to do shit that isnt them and it just downgrades their name to me. I dont know thats just my two cents. I think Lil Dee and big tone is the only one now, maybe shadow if he drops the album. I just hope tone stops with all the singing on tracks and stick to deep shit like how he was on tracks with woodie.

Feb 7, 2011
I think Homeboy Rap started sliding off even when woodie was around. Homies from my areas were slowly starting to not bump some homeboy shit bout 5-10 years ago..

I been sayin this for a minute. If your homie raps and you know deep down his shit is wack, let the muthafucka know!! You don't have to be a dick about it, but lying to him and telling him his shit is tight isn't helping him either!

I got mixed feedback from translating that message into a song ---> 04- Time to Step It Up (Troll Of Beast Ent) - YouTube