Open letter to all Street Level Records fans, supporters and of course the haters...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

Mr. D-Sane

Sicc OG, muthafucka
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle
www.streetlevelrecords.com
Today I have some good news and some bad news for everybody.

THE BAD NEWS:

There’s really no easy way of saying this, so I feel it best that I just stick to my usual no nonsense, no bullshit ways and get straight to the point. I have decided to shut down Street Level Records indefinitely. This is not a decision that I made lightly and is something that has been on my mind for about 8 months now. My intentions were to wait and see what developed for SLR during the 2005 year, but it has become apparent to me that it’s going nowhere fast.

WHY?

I’m sure that’s the big question that most of you are going to ask and there are literally dozens of reasons I could give you all. The funny thing is that I can’t give you one reason why I would want to continue running SLR.

So what’s the major reason? It’s simple, money. A wise man once said that if it don’t make dollars, then it don’t make sense. I’m tired of putting my money into something that doesn’t produce any financial rewards and many times I end up taking a loss. Not only because an album may not recoup (most of the time I’m happy if that alone happens), but because of the literally hundreds and thousands of hours I have spent in the studio working on them. Most of the time, I don’t even get paid for all of my hard work in the studio, nor for all of the beats that I make. But all of that is ending today. I have literally developed carpal tunnel syndrome from working on my computers so much and have decided that if I’m going to be in pain and suffering, then I BETTER be getting paid for it.

Another reason is that as most of you know, I run 2 companies, SLR and my production company Not 2 Sane Productions. Well my production company is what’s paying the bills around here these days. The problem is that I could be making more money with it, but I can’t because half of my time goes to SLR. Ultimately I feel like I’m half-assing both of my companies and am spread too thin. I want to focus on one thing and excel at it as best I can. It’s been said before and I have never been the one to deny it, I am one person trying to do too many people’s jobs at this record label. It’s time I step away from the madness.

Another reason is the artists I work with. I’m not going to sit here and point fingers and blame specific people for the decision that I have made, but it is indeed a result of the experiences that I have had with many of the artists I have worked with, both past and present, that have driven me to make this choice. I have put 7 years of blood, sweat and tears into this record label. I have put thousands of dollars into this only to have people not care or appreciate what I did for them. I have been accused of lying, been called “shady” and had my GOOD NAME ran through the mud by ignorant children when in reality I’m one of the most honest, stand-up cats you’re ever going to meet. In reality I’ve done nothing but help people and further them in their musical endeavors, only to have them shit on me. Funny thing is where are they now?? Those that know me personally know how driven I am and have been to make this thing be successful. But the problem with this machine is that it depends on other people to make it function properly. It’s a machine full of different parts, and when these parts are not all functioning together correctly, the machine doesn’t work. Well, I’m basically tired of trying to get the machine to work and have decided to take my destiny in my own hands.

SO WHAT NOW?

So what am I going to do now you ask? It’s simple. I’m going to do what I love to do most – make music. I’ve never really enjoyed running a record label and selling records. It’s hectic and time consuming. And the rewards have been minimal. Let’s face it though, I am and have been the driving force behind Street Level Records throughout all these years. I feel that my music and production is what has gained SLR the name it has, and hopefully that will carry over to my production company. One of the main reasons I really even started SLR was to promote myself and my production abilities. I think I have proved what I am capable of doing and I feel like I am far from a failure in the NW music scene. I have released 10 albums. 12 if you want to count the underground stuff and 14 if you want to count the other ones I have been affiliated with. There aren’t too many people around here who can make that claim and I’m happy to be one of them. I was also a MAJOR factor in bringing NW Hip-Hop to cyberspace and am one of the reasons so many of you are able to enjoy our music.

In the coming months I will begin to scale down the SLR website and will of course continue to support the catalog through the sale of CD’s via the online store, but there will be no further updates. All albums that were scheduled for release have been cancelled and if you would like to know if any of them are coming out still, you will need to ask that respective artist(s). There is a slight chance that I may be involved in some of the cancelled projects, but I would more or less only be playing consultant. I may at some point in the future decide to reactivate SLR and put out some more albums, but the situation would have to be right. I’m not saying it’s out of the question, I’m just saying that for the time being SLR will be on hiatus.

TO OUR FANS:

I want to personally thank everybody that has supported Street Level Records by buying our CD’s, coming to shows, calling the radio stations, campaigning for us and being just generally GREAT fans. I know this isn’t going to be easy for you all to understand, but I assure you it’s a decision that needed to be made and I am confident that I have made a decision that will be beneficial to all of us in the NW music scene in the long run.

SO WHAT’S THE GOOD NEWS?

I just saved a ton of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico! LOL!

Naw….the good news is that you haven’t heard the last of D-Sane. I will still be around and I have some big things I’m working on making happen. Stay tuned…..

Apr 25, 2002
Do what yu gotta do D..I would probally do the same if I were in your situation.
Its a shame SLR hasn't got the recognition it deserves, especially with all the garbage music I hear all over the place. I think Crytical Condition is an instant classic and easily the best album to come out this year...

Hopefully more success will come in the future..keep the hits comin

Jun 18, 2002
D-Sane, whut it do potna? Sorry to hear this mayne 'cause i really dig Street Level Records and all the dope releases you've been puttin' out over the years! But i feel you playa. Keep doin' the beat making.

Later,

Big Ice A Lot

Dec 30, 2003
www.soundclick.com
I have nothing but respect for you and what you have done for the NW hip sence... It is sad to see SLR go but the end of one thing is the begining another... your already knowin that I'm gunna be a custo for Not 2 Sain productions....

May 14, 2003
I feel you D keep doin what u doin man everything happens for a reason. Do u still have the new site comin?

Message to the hater.

a) If you dont like SLR why waste your time login into the site?

b) If everything is bad why do u keep checkin for it?

c) Notes is one of the coldest MCs u and all your hater friends has ever heard.

d) D-sane has some of the best beats around, U obviously know that u admitted you've copped all the albums. Thanks for at least helpin my man recoup some of his $$

e) On a final note to quote Jay-z

"Yung'uns ice-grillin me, ohh - you not feelin me?
Fine; it cost you nothin - pay me no mind
Look, I'm on my grind cousin, ain't got time for frontin
Sensitive thugs, y'all all need hugs

May 2, 2002
adm211 said:
On a final note to quote Jay-z

"Yung'uns ice-grillin me, ohh - you not feelin me?
Fine; it cost you nothin - pay me no mind
Look, I'm on my grind cousin, ain't got time for frontin
Sensitive thugs, y'all all need hugs
that pretty much sums it up fam. this dude isn't real anyway. Mo-X told him that he'd buy him and his homie an airline ticket so he could bitch slap Red Head Steve. But guess what? The bottom line is that his bitch ass never took Mo up on the offer. So that means he talked all that shit online but wouldn't take it any further. That is some hoe shit any way you look at it. There is nothing even half way masculine about being a net banger.

May 2, 2002
OLDEeNGLISH800 said:
The bottom line is you tucked your tail like the little san jo caucasion that nobody respects in the bay. It was a suprize you wait weeks after your boyfreind banned me to speak up on some shit. And for the record. I told mo butter blues to hook in the CC info so I could get the tickets. Instead of doing that he tryed to play perry mason and avoid the subject. Coincidently after that i got banned for nothing.
Tucked my tail from what? I'm over here sitting back speaking on real shit and calling it how I see it. If you have a problem with me, come get me. It's that simple. I don't get wrapped up in all this net banging shit that leads nowhere. And you obviously don't know me cause I'm not from San Jose and have never said I was.

Jul 9, 2003
hey this is V>V homeboy from the 360 in the VA jus wanna halla at the fam for a min. jus trying to get it crackin from north ta south of this northwest takeover we want yeah knowwwwwwwwwwwwwww...

May 2, 2002
Damn i been gone for like three months and come back to this terrible news
Anyways just wanted to say good luck to ya D Sane and you still gotta let us know what albums you end up with your hands in because i definitely will wanna pick em up.