Cataract Falls (photography)

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

drewski.kalonji

Shark Finning & Grinning
May 17, 2002
Murky Bay Waters, CA
It was beautiful in the bay yesterday so I trecked up to Marin County by Mount Tam. I'm posting to hopefully get any advice, tips, hate, etc....

D3000 with the entry kit lens (15-55mm). no tripod.

I know they look better without the distracting stupid tag on em but fuck it's a random message board; never know where these could end up...

May 14, 2002
There are a few nice ones standing out, Im too lazy to count right now (sorry).
There are also a few standing out I didn't like so much, pushed the contrast to low or pushed the colours to high. (imo)

Good to see some photos again! I also have tons of photos of waterfalls laying around, I saw heaps last year.

drewski.kalonji

Shark Finning & Grinning
May 17, 2002
Murky Bay Waters, CA
Yeah I hear you on pushing the colors high. Didn't work the best. For a few of those I was trying to lower the vibrance and boost the saturation to get a primarily bold black and white photo with bright green moss, leaves, etc like this:

@ IOIASH: do you know the preferred display brightness on a laptop screen when adjusting/touching photos? I've been editing with the brightness on full and don't know how it would look after print or on other computers. thanks.

May 14, 2002
Ah man, I am also walking around trying to figure all this stuff out.
For me, I put the brightness of my laptop around half, it also depends a lot on what the lighting is you use it in I guess because I catch myself adjusting from time to time.

For the prints, more or less the same. A few weeks ago I made some prints for the first time, completely unexperienced as I am I figured I try the same set of photos and try them out in different store and webshops.

resulting I learned the quality of the print depends on many factors, for me it is still a learning process which I enjoy. Sometimes I take a small sd card when I know I will pass by a print shop just to see what it is like on print quality. I've had sometimes the differences between shops were very small and sometimes worlds apart.
Thats why my only advise can be, to just select a few shots and test it out. It's not that expensive for just a few prints.

Also maybe someone can confirm this because I am not sure but the colors for printing become very different on print when you push the colours through vibrance and seturation. Something I heard someone say during a tutorial, but I was never able to confirm this myself.
But because of this I always try to use the channel mixer instead.

So basically .. it is a lot of testing, I hope it helped though.

I think some would look better if properly sharpened too.