5D Mark iii or 6D? Opinions?

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 5, 2006
What kind of shooting are you gonna be doing?

I'm in the same predicament, however both cameras are great in low light... seriously I mean GREAT... you can shoot 25,400 ISO hand held with a slower lens and be sharp. Only thing is if you plan on doing gigs and all that you'd probably get more jobs simply because of the "5D mark 3" but they're nearly identical except 6D is lighter and much cheaper cost. Basically Canon made the 5D which is nearly identical with the exception of a few specs to upsell it to people.

Jan 2, 2007
What kind of shooting are you gonna be doing?

I'm in the same predicament, however both cameras are great in low light... seriously I mean GREAT... you can shoot 25,400 ISO hand held with a slower lens and be sharp. Only thing is if you plan on doing gigs and all that you'd probably get more jobs simply because of the "5D mark 3" but they're nearly identical except 6D is lighter and much cheaper cost. Basically Canon made the 5D which is nearly identical with the exception of a few specs to upsell it to people.
Thanks Chapo. I recently got a gig doing weddings and a full frame is a requirement. I also do portraits and sports shit. I do concerts and so the low light capability sounds dope. I just can't decide on which one to get…side by side on DPReview they really aren't too far off of each other..

May 14, 2002
If the specs don't differ too much I'd probably go for the 6D since it's also about half the price of the MarkIII which sells here for about 3500 something euro.

I would go for the 6D and get an extra lens or something with the money I'd save.
But on the other hand customers probably prefer the MarkIII since that one is so hyped up.

Jan 5, 2006
Yeah i'd go with the 6D probably and what I would've spent on the Mark III i'd get a canon L lens, maybe like a 24-70 or something. But the only drawback is that a lot of customers know about the 5D and because of that camera alone you'll get gigs even though you don't need it necessarily to take great photos. I saw a segment where Estevan Oriol bought a Canon 5D MKII I think but it was mainly for customers to see a "big professional camera" that they were paying good money for to be used...and then he'd shoot on an old film camera.

A MarkIII can be had for as low as 2700 from what i've seen. Brand new.

Jan 2, 2007
Thank you both for the input. Ive been going back and forth on it…Im still not sure, for some reason the 5D MKiii still stands out to me. I typically use the 70-200 2.8L II lens, the 17-40 F4 L, and the 50mm 1.4… You guys thinking I should add the 24-70 or the 24-105 or what do you think would help my setup??

Jan 6, 2008
www.youtube.com
I've been using the 6D for a year now and i love it. It doesn't have all the features of the 5DM3 and the aliasing is definitely worse but most people don't notice or care about that (most people meaning non-video/photography folks)

The low light performance is better on the 6D. Between that and the lower cost it was an easy decision for me because most of my work is low/no budget and run & gun style. Being able to go up to ~4000 ISO with no grain is amazing. I've even shot at 25600 ISO and it was useable footage.

Jan 2, 2007
I've been using the 6D for a year now and i love it. It doesn't have all the features of the 5DM3 and the aliasing is definitely worse but most people don't notice or care about that (most people meaning non-video/photography folks)

The low light performance is better on the 6D. Between that and the lower cost it was an easy decision for me because most of my work is low/no budget and run & gun style. Being able to go up to ~4000 ISO with no grain is amazing. I've even shot at 25600 ISO and it was useable footage.
Thanks for the input bru…

Do you use the wireless features at all? If so, are they useful or helpful in any way?