Werner Erhard

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 31, 2008
I know some of you(iaoish) will vibe with this guy's talks. I typed a couple excerpts from a 4 hour talk for another site. I figured i could copy n paste it here so it doesnt go to waste.
If any of you are interested in the audio of the talks , let me know so i know to upload them to youtube or 2shared or some shit.

"I bet that every complaint in your life really represents a racket. That you have that about which you are complaining in your life, because it somehow makes you right. You watch the way people use their illnesses? You watch the complaints that people have about their work, about their jobs? Most people's complaints about their work and jobs are a racket which enables them to avoid the domination of their job like an opportunity! See, if your job showed up like an opportunity...like the possibility of making a difference...like the possibility of making a contribution...if your job showed up like a space of freedom in which to express everything which u had...everything that u were, THEN, you'd have to be responsible for the opportunity that your job is! But as long as you can say "They" and "It" and "The boss" and the circumstances of your job, and "they dont listen", I say that that's a racket. And im inviting you to take a look at your complaints as a racket. The complaints about our work for the most part help us to avoid the domination, help us to avoid the responsibility of the opportunity which our work is.

You know I know in your relationship you are saving something. You dont GIVE everything you got! You're saving a little bit, cuz SOME DAY the guy is gonna come on the white horse! Then when the guy comes on the white horse,THEN you're gonna give everything! But not to him! or not to her! No THEY dont understand you... They dont... fill in your own complaint!
But I say, that that lets you off the hook. That lets you to avoid the domination of the responsibility of holding your relationship as an opportunity to express yourself fully and totally. See if ONLY she.. fill in the blank. THAT is your racket. And when we get authentic about the kind of beings we are, the kind of beings that we see ourselves to be... when we want to be authentic about it, is a racketeer. And the racket is whatever it is you are complaining about.

We've got this racket. And like all racketeers, we expect a payoff from the racket. The payoff is we get to be right. Your racket lets you be right, or it allows you to make somebody wrong. Lot's of people in their 60s are still making their parents wrong! Still making their upbringing wrong!
People would rather be right in their relationships than love.

I know this isnt pretty what I'm telling you... and I know that if you're like most people you're sitting there figuring out a way that it's not true about you... Or at least its not ALWAYS true about you..
Life is a racket, and you and I are racketeers, and if you can get beyond the horror of that, to just be with the IS of it, I say that there is power in that, and u have to see if whether what I say turns out to be so.

I know how to put on the good face.. I know how to look good and I know you know how to look good. And television and most of what we consider to be public is mostly about looking good. And if you look out from the possibility that your life is about looking good, you're gonna see that a lot of what you're up to is about looking good. You dont MEAN it. And sometimes you KNOW you dont mean it.
You dont even believe in the things you believe and sometimes you know you dont believe in them. But you keep looking good about it. You're afraid to express your own doubts for fear of not looking good.
So I'm inviting you to look out from the possibility that you are a racketeer. That your relationship, that your work, that your job...the things in your life are really about getting these payoffs. And the best place to look is those things about which you are complaining in life. "I dont like." "I dont want."

You see you and I are willing to sacrifice the quality of our life for these payoffs. Like I said in our relationships, we are willing to sacrifice love..I mean the real presence of love. We are willing to sacrifice that for being right or making the other person wrong.
We are willing to sacrifice love in order to justify ourselves.
If any incling of an opening for generosity shows up in the relationship, we close it down very quickly to keep ourselves justified in the position that we're in.
We're willing to give up.. to sacrifice our own self-expression. See on your tomb-stone, they are gonna put "Something was left. And we dont know what it is or was." See they are gonna put on your tomb-stone
"Used up."
Cuz you aint gonna get used up! Nah-ah cuz you're gonna save it! Till prince charming comes! THEN you're gonna give it. But not now! not here! not for THIS! Not for what you got!

Most people are gonna go to their graves with the sense that their was something in them that never got expressed. That there was something there.. something of real value.. something that could make a difference.. something that could have made a contribution.. that just never got expressed, and most of us are gonna go to our grave like that.

Most of us are willing to sacrifice our full self-expression for the avoidance of any responsibility. To avoid the domination of taking on life like an opportunity. Most people are happy to give up their happiness. People dont have any problem sacrificing their own happiness...not as long as they can be right! See I say any place in your life where u are not happy, I bet that right there u are being right. Or you are making somebody or something else wrong.

See I know you want to be happy.. u arent but you want to be.
See I want to share 1 tip with you. I told you i dont give tips. I said I dont have answers or solutions or prescriptions... Here is one little tip.
You aren't ever gonna get happy... EVER. I promise.
I know you know ALL the fairytales and the stories, and I know you intoxicate yourself with romantic sensations that SOME DAY you're gonna be happy... as soon as x...."THEN" you're gonna be happy.
I promise you will never get happy. That's a promise.
The pursuit of happiness is the only guarantee against it.
See now you can't hear me, because you know that it's going to work out. You're just SURE that it's going to work out.
It isn't going to work out. Really! It is not going to work out!
THIS is all there is! THIS! This what you GOT is what there IS.
Never-mind the fairytales.
THIS IS IT!
It is not going to work out because it has ALREADY worked out.
THIS is the way it worked out!
If you dont like that.. too bad!
The knight in shining armor is not gonna ride into your living room and carry u off! So you better stop SAVING IT. You better give it up now! More importantly, to come to grips with our own fundamental in-authenticity begins to alter the mood of being in which we live. From one of resignation to one of a kind of authenticity or honesty about the in-authenticity which we are.
One begins to wake up, and in an environment of being, that has a certain quality which no one covering this up ever knows about."

May 14, 2002
He makes some interesting points in this text, I would be interested to hear some more from him.
Currently I was listening to some lectures by Manly P. Hall on youtube.

I might send a pm in a day or two by the way.

Jan 31, 2008
ill look into Manly P. Hall when i find some time.

i am currently reading into G.I. Gurfjieff's ideas

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/G._I._Gurdjieff

I vibe a lot with his ideas that "man" as we know him is a machine. That this "man's" actions are mechanical and reactive to the circumstances.

Werner Erhard mentions something similar when he says that as we currently are, we have no choice in the matter even tho we think we do, but that we instead are playing around with options already provided for us (circumstantially and what-not).

May 14, 2002
Didn't Leonardo Da Vinci had similar ideas about the human body being a machine.. I don't know how far his theories went about mans actions and decision making and what not though.

Currently I am about 1/4 in to I am that. I'd like to finish this before I start a new one. This book makes me reflect a lot as it is.
I'll take a look in to Gurdjieff, but I have to run now, cultural obligations!