Using the Lord's name in vain

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Jan 28, 2005
I've been getting into disagreements with people recently about using the Lord's name in vain. I personally do not have a problem with saying "God," as that isn't really His name anyway, just a title or sorts. Others I have been around will continually hiss "Gosh!" at me every time I say God. Those of my faith (Jew) have different opinions depending on their level of dedication to the religious study (Orthodox, Conserative, or Reform). I'm interested to know all of your opinions on this matter, and how that opinion was influenced (type of faith, level of dedication, apathy, etc.). What do you think?

Mar 12, 2005
You should never involve the Lord's name when you curse, or swear. Even if it's God Damn, it's still using his name in vain. I'll find the thread with Biblical Quotes

May 15, 2002
I use the phrase "goddamn", or "jesus christ!" a lot only because they have become popular phrases in our culture. However, I am very conscious of my word choice when in public or around people I'm not familiar with. I have lots of deeply religious people in my family and I won't use those words/phrases around them because, even though they have no "real" meaning to me, they can be offensive to others and there are many ways I can express dissatisfaction without referring to another's god.

Mar 9, 2005
What about using variants on the words? I know a few people who say 'Jesus H. Christ' and they claim that this avoids the 'name in vain' problem.

Aug 8, 2003
i have no problem saying god dammit.. or god damnd muthafuckers. or god damn u sons of bitches...i always used to believe he is both benevolent and malevolent..

Mar 12, 2005
Haha, but it's best if you're a man that follows the Laws of God, that you refrain from using his name in any type of vain terms.

TROLL said:
i have no problem saying god dammit.. or god damnd muthafuckers. or god damn u sons of bitches...i always used to believe he is both benevolent and malevolent..
damn you troll, DAMN YOU!!!

J/P

Dec 25, 2003
I usually tend to throw some sort of sexual act with it when extremely angry.

eg.
"Jesus Mary and the Dildo where the fuck are they?"
"I'd bet Baby Jesus sweet ass you have no idea what youre talking about"
"Jesus fucking faggot Christ"

etc.

Mar 9, 2005
STOCKTON said:
Haha, but it's best if you're a man that follows the Laws of God, that you refrain from using his name in any type of vain terms.
Well said. Obviously that doesn't apply to those who don't follow the laws of God, although it would be responsible not to use his name in vein around those who are (I would never say 'Jesus Christ!' in front of my Grandma for instance).

Mar 9, 2005
WHITE DEVIL said:
Now here is a real question to ponder: If you raped Baby Jesus would you be endowed with inhuman abilities like the ability to leap buildings or run 100 mph?
That is a question only God can answer. I doubt it though.

Aug 8, 2003
HERESY said:
I believe taking the Lords name in vain has more to do with a persons actions towards the Lord instead of what he says. Think about that for a bit...
hmm.. can u elaborate :H:.. i dont feel any malice towards the concept of a single god