Suspended-animation Trials To Begin On Humans

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 2, 2006
[/URL]

Suspended-animation trials to begin on humans - CNET

This month, the world's first attempts at placing humans in suspended animation using a new technique will take place at the UPMC Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania -- not for space travel, but to save lives.

The technique will initially be used on 10 patients whose wounds would otherwise be lethal in an attempt to buy the surgeons some time. It works, as suggested by science fiction, by cooling the body -- but not by applying an external temperature change.

Instead, a team of surgeons will remove all of the patient's blood, replacing it with a cold saline solution. This will cool the body, slowing its functions to a halt and reducing the need for oxygen. Effects similar to this have been seen in accidents: Swedish Anna Bågenholm survived trapped under a layer of ice in freezing water for 80 minutes in a skiing accident; Japanese Mitsutaka Uchikoshi survived 24 days without food or water by entering a state of hypothermic hibernation.

"We are suspending life, but we don't like to call it suspended animation because it sounds like science fiction," Doctor Samuel Tisherman, the surgeon who will lead the trial, told New Scientist. "So we call it emergency preservation and resuscitation."

The technique was developed by Doctor Peter Rhee, who successfully managed to test it on pigs in the year 2000. In 2006, Dr Rhee and his colleagues published the results of their subsequent research. After inducing fatal wounds in the pigs by cutting their arteries with scalpels, the team replaced the pigs' blood with saline, which lowered their body temperature to 10 degrees Celsius.

All of the control pigs, whose body temperature was left alone, died. The pigs who were warmed back up at a medium speed demonstrated a 90 percent survival rate, although some of their hearts had to be given a jump start (the pigs that were warmed up slow and fast had a 50 and 30 per cent survival rate respectively). Afterwards, the pigs demonstrated no physical or cognitive impairment.

The technique, therefore, will only be used as an emergency measure on patients who have suffered cardiac arrest after severe traumatic injury, with their chest cavity open and having lost at least half their blood already -- injuries that see only a seven percent survival rate. The survival rate of these patients will then be measured against a control group that has not received the treatment before further testing can begin.

It's not science fiction quite yet -- a human body can only be safely placed under these conditions for a maximum of a few hours -- but even if it raises the survival rate just the little, it will be a massive step forward.
If you want to know more about the trial, or opt out, you can do so on the Acute Care Research website.

[/URL]

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
I don't know how the hell saline reduces the body's need for oxygen - it better be oxygen rich saline solution otherwise they will kill the "lab rats" er patients.

Furthermore why even do this? just so see what happens?

I've heard of cases where people have been frozen to ice and revived and I have heard of surgeries where patients body temps were temporally cooled, but I just don't see this working long term.

If I'm not mistaken 80 degrees is the coldest temp you can actually lower a body temp down to without the patient dying (generally speaking or medically speaking).

I suppose their little experiment could work if they gradually lowered the body temp hence slowing the metabolism - pretty much inducing hibernation - but of all people doctors should know that humans don't hibernate..

Also, how bad are these "wounds" these doctors are talking about?

I've seen some awful wounds and these poor individuals that suffered them were never put into "hibernation."

This sounds more like an experiment than a treatment, or a procedure that could save someones life.

Sounds like something the Nazi's would do - just more humane.

Apr 4, 2006
www.myspace.com
this could potentially lead to more incidents of zombified humans eating living body parts
Actually I think it may be possible to create a zombie by lowering body temperature. I'm sure they would be safe zombies and wouldn't eat people - they probably wouldn't need to eat much at all given their lower metabolism.

It would still be weird, and I think these "medical doctors" doing these "trials" are insane and I think this is highly unethical.