Modern day ghost town

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.

L.D.S.

The Bakersman
Aug 14, 2006
Mizzourah
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7584097.stm < Vid in link

A summer breeze blows a cloud of dust through the Spanish town of Sesena. Drifting along the empty streets and deserted playgrounds the eerie silence is occasionally broken by the slow creaking of an unused swing.

Like the housing market right now, little is moving in Sesena. Boom has turned to bust and the wider Spanish economy is suffering.

Lying just 20 miles south of Madrid, Sesena was designed as a major urbanisation for professionals who could not afford city prices.

But there are few signs of life at Sesena, now dubbed the Spanish ghost town.

The population of this town did not disappear, they simply never arrived.

More than 13,500 apartments were built on this area of scrubland. But less than 3,000 have been sold. So far the number of people living in Sesena can be counted in the hundreds.

Tough market

Developers are desperate to get people to move into the apartments and are slashing prices.

Monica Torremocha Orocco is one of few who is interested in moving into the area. She says that rents there have fallen by more than 400 euros in a month.

"They've cut the prices of flats a lot because people don't have any money. You could say we are in poverty here," Ms Orocco adds.

Sesena is just the tip of the iceberg.

SPANISH PROPERTY MARKET*
2.5 million dwellings built in Spain since 2004
Only 1.3 million properties sold
More new homes built than in the UK, France and Germany put together
*Source: Capital Economics

Down on Spain's southern coastline, the signs of overdevelopment are plain to see.

Cranes and apartment blocks under construction dominate the horizon.

In many tourist communities on the Costa Del Sol, Britons and Spaniards have scrambled to snap up their dream holiday homes. But today many of the flats remain empty and developments unfinished.

Developers have gone bust and people who have put down deposits have struggled to get their money back.

David Busby, from Lancashire, bought a property on the outskirts of Marbella six years ago. Bought off the plans it took more than four years to complete and now he is struggling to find a tenant.

What was once his dream retirement home is now his Spanish nightmare.

"We were looking for an investment for our retirement, but so far we've lost &#163;90,000," says Mr Busby.

Construction boom

Inez Rix, from Direct Auctions, says David Busby's situation is not unusual. His property will be hard to sell because there are simply too many others like it on the market.

Inez Rix beside building site
Auctioneer Inez Rix says many developments are now unfinished

"I think this is going to be the biggest fallout that anyone's ever seen because of the sheer amount of properties," she explains

"That's been the problem, too much supply."

In recent years Spain has built more houses than the UK, France and Germany put together. The construction industry has accounted for a fifth of all jobs created in Spain since 2000.

Its downturn is now having a significant impact on the economy.

So is there an end in sight?

Some experts say that holiday developments are worse affected than residential properties in urban areas. But nobody can deny that this is a market in trouble.

~~~~

I wonder if there are places like this in the U.S., too? And with the recessed economy, I wonder if we may end up with a few places like this on our soil...

Sep 12, 2004
www.myspace.com
SPAIN = BEEN FUCKED SINCE QUEEN ISABELLA

all that gold they raped from south america they didnt spend shit in spain..
finest artisans from france, blacksmiths from germany, artists from italy, spices and silks from the east, wine from greece, etc...

Mar 4, 2007
I have never seen anything on that scale, but I did see a few smaller ghost towns when I was driving through Neveda. They were stilly creepy for sure.
seriously, when i drove through the mojave desert and then entered southern nevada, i was baffled and unsure if some people lived in those homes out there, seriously, where do they get money? and how fuck do they survive those days(it was 115 when i was driving through)

aluminum foil in your windows aint gonna save you from everything..

Aug 12, 2002
www.veronicamoser.com
seriously, when i drove through the mojave desert and then entered southern nevada, i was baffled and unsure if some people lived in those homes out there, seriously, where do they get money? and how fuck do they survive those days(it was 115 when i was driving through)

It's not hard.

I have 100+ degree summers, and -20 degree winters. Both ends of the scale. And yes, most likely people do live in those houses. I live a few miles from an old ghost town, a mining town, that used to have thousands of people, and now has about 10. Lots of old, old mines, houses, etc. It's pretty dope to explore shit like that; I went out once with some friends, and found an old abandoned house, with newspapers dating back to the early 1900's, completely empty, except for about 40-50 children's shoes. It was kind of weird...

And there's so many old roads, paths, streams, etc. that aren't traveled, you never know what you'll find. There's an old lake about 20 miles from my house, that probably about 10 people in my town know about. It's hard to get there, you gotta walk about the last 5 miles, through rocks and shit, and once we saw a mountain lion up on the top of a rock formation out there, so we went up after it (we had guns, like that would help), and found an old cave that had an old, tattered blanket, some old clothes, and a bottle of bourbon that was old as shit, too. LOL

Basically, the desert is hot, dry, barren, etc...but I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Sep 28, 2002
True story my old car (never buy a mazda) broke down (piece of shit electronic trasmission) in the mojave desert (on my way from SD to denver) in the mid-day sun and I had to hike it, if baker was a ghost town I would be a ghost right now. Its fucked up all this building for the sake of building begets building this is what it leads to a bunch of empty buildings, who would have thought that could happen?

Nov 24, 2003

Yeah, I don't remember the highway numbers, but I swear at some point I passed houses that were 2-3 hours away from the next anything in both directions.

What was even weirder was passing the brothels that were little shacks all by themselves in the desert with nothing else around. Where do the girls commute from? Who goes there? What the fuck?