GLOBAL COOLING

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Feb 15, 2007
no link but i read an ariticle that said that there is currently more snow on the northern hemisphere than there has been in the last 50 years....

WHO HERE BELIEVES IN GLOBAL WARMING....I MYSELF HAVENT LOOKED INTO IT

Hutch

Sicc OG
Mar 9, 2005
Global warming could create a small ice age, but I don't think you could classify it as an official 'ice age' as the northern hemisphere would freeze over but the rest of the world would remain hotter than ever. Of course, the extra ice would reflect more of the suns energy, dampening the effects of climate change, but that wouldn't be able to counter the effects of global warming, especially if we continue along our archaic path of fossil fuel use.

I just hate how fossil fuel lobbies and their political payroll use such information as evidence that global warming isn't happening. After all, how can the world be warming so dramatically yet we're having some of the coldest weather on record?

Apr 25, 2002
More snow doesn't mean it is colder. We hit record snow fall here this year and it was not a colder than usual winter. I'd say it was average to warmer.

We frequently have winters where it gets so cold that it is too cold to snow. Not this year.

We had thunder and lightning last night with a snow storm. <---- unusual

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
Global warming could create a small ice age, but I don't think you could classify it as an official 'ice age' as the northern hemisphere would freeze over but the rest of the world would remain hotter than ever. Of course, the extra ice would reflect more of the suns energy, dampening the effects of climate change, but that wouldn't be able to counter the effects of global warming, especially if we continue along our archaic path of fossil fuel use.

I just hate how fossil fuel lobbies and their political payroll use such information as evidence that global warming isn't happening. After all, how can the world be warming so dramatically yet we're having some of the coldest weather on record?
two or three years ago there was a study in Nature where they reported that the North Atlantic thermohaline circulation has slowed down with ~20% in the last 20 or so years...

Which is scary when you think how much ice is there in Greenland and how fast its melting is accelerating....

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
I SAW SOMEHTING ABOUT THIS ON PBS....LIKE THE SUN WASNT REACHING THE EARTH ENOUGH CUZ OF THE GASES IN THE ATMOSEPHERE, SO THE WATER WASNT EVAPORATING AT AN EFFICENT RATE CUZ THE GLOBAL WARMING WAS BLOCKING OUT THE SUN...

I DONT SEE ANY SOLUTIONS TO IT UNTIL WE STOP WITH ALL THIS WASTEFUL EMMISIONS SHIT AND START TO USE MASS TRANSIT...I MEAN 85&#37; OF COMMUTING IS A ONE PERSON COMMUTE...WE NEED TO START CARPOOLING
How are you going to do it? With the massive suburbian sprawl surrounding the cities?

I had to fly to LA a few weeks ago, and I had the opportunity to see Phoenix, Las Vegas and the LA basin from the sky, you have to see it from above to realize how truly frightening it is - enormous areas are covered with low rising single family houses, which people have to commute >10 miles from and to every day, and which waist so much energy for heating, air conditioning and so much water for maintenance of the green areas that it is scary to just think about... all of that in the middle of the desert; it is an idiocy of the highest proportions....

LA is all houses, from the sea to the mountains, with virtually no unbuilt areas, and with a few scyscrapers in the downtown. I spent three days there and I realized how dependent on the car you are in such a city, it is just not built for anything else than people with cars enjoying cheap and abundant gas and oil.... (I live on the East coast so you can understand why I had not truly appreciated this before)

You just can't live biking or walking, it is not possible... And you can't introduce mass transportation because the population density is so sparse. If you want to change something, this will require dramatic changes in the infrastructure and the very culture and way of life people of such proportions that I can not see how anything else other than the moment when the world runs out of oil can force people to do something about it... and most of them have no idea of the scale and importance of the problems

Feb 8, 2006
If you want to change something, this will require dramatic changes in the infrastructure and the very culture and way of life people of such proportions that I can not see how anything else other than the moment when the world runs out of oil can force people to do something about it

I agree with this statement here,

and there is a reason it is setup that way, and a reason it won't ever change.

Rusto

Sicc OG
Nov 2, 2002
conservative idiot global warming deniers need to learn about the difference between "weather" and "climate"

ThaG

Sicc OG
Jun 30, 2005
FOR ONE THING IVE SEEN ON FORUMS LIKE CRAIGSLIST WERE PEOPLE ASK FOR RIDES...IT'S ALL ABOUT ORGANZING WHO CAN HOOK YOU UP WITH A RIDE TO WORK AND SETTING THE HOURS UP...

BUT PEOPLE ARE PEOPLE AND THEY ENJOY THEIR FREEDOMS TO THE FULLEST EXTENT AND WOULD RATHER BE MISERABLE ALONE IN THEY OWN RIDE W/O ANYBODYS BOTHERING THEM, IN TRAFFIC THAT DONT MOVE AN INCH...

AND THEN THEY BITCH AS TO HOW THE TRAFFIC GETS WORSE AND WORSE EACH YEAR, AND THEY DONT REALIZE THEY IS A PART OF THE MUCHO PROBLEMO WITH NACHO CHEESE SAUCE ON TOP....

BUT LIKE I SAID IM HUNGRY RIGHT NOW, AND PEEPS NEED TO JUST ORGANZIE THE CARPOOLING THING...IT SOUNDS HARD TO DO, BUT JUST POSTING AND SEEING WHO IS GOING WHERE AND ASKING IS A START....
this will not solve the problem at all

you are essentially scaling back everything by a factor of 3 or 4, (assuming maximum efficiency which is of course too optimsitic)

this is far less than what is needed and it does not solve all the other problems suburbia cause, because cars are only one of them