Gentrification and the whitest region in America

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 9, 2002
In the last 5 years or so, Portnald and Seattle have been going through a phase of gentrification in "poorer" neighborhoods. IN Seattle, housing projects such as Holly Park and Highpoint, have been transformed into neighborhoods that are middle class. Seattles Central District, arguelby the "blackest" neighborhood in Seattle with the highest percentage of African American concentrated neighborhoods, is now over 50% Caucasian as of the end of 2006, including having a Starbucks and planted flowers on the side of newly erected condos.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/18/AR2006061800605.html

My question to everyone is, what are the pros and cons of gentrification? If your neighborhood was going through such a process, would you aprove? If not, what would you do to protest or stop it?

Aug 6, 2006
Pros - Better neighborhoods

Cons - Poor people will of course have to strive harder to attain the same quality of life or move to what are usually poorer neighborhoods than where they were before.

Feb 1, 2006
I think people have a 'right to the city' where they live, and that includes affordable housing. Of course they also have a right to good, safe, neighborhoods. This shouldn't be an 'either/or' situation.

I've seen what the (white) hipsters and yuppies are doing to North and North-East Portland and I don't like it, it kind of makes me sick, and I wont go to parties over there thrown by 'new arrivals' because I will end up talking politics with them and want to piss on their couch and spill malt liquor on their bed. I dont live in that part of town though, so what I say about it doesn't matter as much as people that do.

HERESY

THE HIDDEN HAND...
Apr 25, 2002
www.godscalamity.com
www.godscalamity.com
My question to everyone is, what are the pros and cons of gentrification?
Pros and cons depend on where you are socially/culturally and economically.

If your neighborhood was going through such a process, would you aprove?
That would depend on where I sat socially/culturally and economically.

If not, what would you do to protest or stop it?
see above.

Oct 21, 2006
The big problem is that the people who lived in the neighborhood before are not allowed the opportunity to live there after. They're forced to move somewhere else, which isn't getting rid of any problem. Look at Fillmore

Aug 11, 2004
Pro's: I think gentrification brings a little light to the neighborhood and gets rid of a lot of crime a poverty..

Cons: its only getting rid of the problem in that neighborhood and is just displacing the poverty which causes poverty stricken people to have to all leave and most end up in the same little places making it a worse situation then before.

Jul 10, 2002
If one get's forced out of public housing for private profit, that's bad.

If one willingly sells private property for profit, that's another story.