Chaos and cosmos

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
Nov 21, 2012
Cosmos is a greek term meaning 'order, orderly arrangement, ornaments'. Its opposite is chaos. We use the term chaos to depict dis-order. Yet as I understand it, it also was to mean primal emptiness, space.

As I look at the definition of chaos, I am told it is from ghn or ghen meaning 'gape, be wide open' ( so says winkipedia). From this we get an Anglo-Saxon word gānian ('yawn'), geanian, ginian ('gape wide'). Yet for this post I am interested in 'order' and 'dis-order' and perhaps what you see.

From my POV I see order in this cosmos. I see laws of nature at work and the laws of physics that try to keep up in defining all the
phenomenon that surround us. Even random events ( as I see it) are structured by natural laws. Let me give an example that I wrote on another post:

If something goes flying out from the center of a star or a galaxy or ejected in a random manner out of a human cell , the laws of velocity, attraction, resistance , gravity all apply.

Lets not get so cosmic - how about a balloon that is let go, letting the air out to propel the balloon. To us, the path is random, yet to analyse it and chart the course of pressure, wind velocity, bla-bla-bla, the balloon took the path of least resistance to move in space... random to the observer, yet filled with order and the laws of physics.

This suggests (IMHO) even 'randomness' must operate by the laws that are found in the universe, hence chaos is in the eyes of
the beholder.

Lets say some one asks, then what would be an example of pure chaos? I'd say laws of nature that are not reliable , that is:
Today I plant a tomato seed and get a pumpkin... I am okay with that as long as each time I did this I got a pumpkin.

It is when you plant a tomato and one day you get a pumpkin, the next day you get a palm tree.

Today I put gas in my car and I get 50MPG, the next day I put gas in and it freezes the engine and it falls apart.

Today a female dog has puppies, tomorrow she gives birth to a kangaroo.
Today the earth completes a day in 24 hrs, tomorrow it takes 100 hrs to rotate 360°
That is chaos...

I see this cosmos as the intelligence of this Universe managing on every level. I see Creation , the maintenance of this universe and I see its destruction in beautiful order.

Just wondered what you see? Order? Chaos? or a combination there of?

Dec 25, 2003
Not to try and tangentialize, but to me as long as the world and space function as I expect it to I'm not super concerned about whether it is order, chaos, or some combination thereof

R

Sicc OG
Dec 7, 2005
Not to try and tangentialize, but to me as long as the world and space function as I expect it to I'm not super concerned about whether it is order, chaos, or some combination thereof
This thread is not intended for petty minded audiences such as yourself.

Great post OP.