@Sniko Dawg...and all you other doubters...

• Wanna Join? New users you can now register lightning fast using your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
May 10, 2002
The SEC is better than the Pac-10 huh...peep this...

Monday, September 16, 2002

Pac-10 gets tougher, as do BCS hopes

By TED MILLER
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

Lost in the hype surrounding Washington State's defeat at Ohio State was the Pac-10's eight-victory weekend that established the conference as the nation's deepest.

Six Pac-10 teams are ranked in this week's Associated Press Poll, matching the Big 12. That hasn't happened since Sept. 18, 1989. The SEC and Big Ten both have four ranked teams.

If the Pac-10, which is 22-4 thus far in non-conference games, turns in another stellar effort this weekend, it's possible eight teams could find their way into the Top 25 for the first time in history.

For that to occur, four things must happen:

No. 23 California must avoid a letdown at home against Air Force after a shocking domination of Michigan State on the road.

No. 20 UCLA needs to sustain Colorado's "Return to Diffidence" at the Rose Bowl.

Oregon State will have to beat Fresno State at home.

Arizona must win at No. 22 Wisconsin and impress voters with a 3-0 mark that includes a quality victory over Utah.

If the planets align and all that happens, Washington's schedule suddenly could become a rugged gauntlet of seven ranked teams over the final eight weekends, the lone holdout being Arizona State.

Those eight Pac-10 opponents are 20-2 in non-conference games, with the defeats coming from Nebraska and Ohio State.

That means, once the UW rolls over Wyoming this Saturday and Idaho (yawn) the next, a home schedule previously -- and fairly -- viewed as lame, now could feature four opponents ranked -- at least at some point -- in the Top 25 (Cal, Arizona, UCLA and Oregon State).

Of course, Cal and Arizona figure to fall before they face the UW. Cal plays Washington State and Arizona plays Oregon the weekends before they visit the Huskies.

Pac-10 play, however, is typically loopy and unpredictable. Therein lies part of the conference's annual problem when it comes to producing a national title contender.

The other five Bowl Championship Series conferences feature at least one team ranked ahead of every Pac-10 team. The Big East, SEC and Big 12 have two teams ranked ahead of No. 9 Oregon.

That's a lot of makeup work for the only BCS conference that hasn't won, or even played for, a national title over the past five years. Only twice since 1992 has a Pac-10 team finished unbeaten in conference play. It's hard to imagine, considering the conference's depth, any squad will emerge unblemished this year.

Perfect league records are fairly common in other BCS conferences. Since 1992, there have been seven undefeated conference champions in the ACC, six in the Big East, four in the Big Ten and four in the SEC. It happened twice in the Big 12 since 1996 (the league's first year after adding four teams and splitting into two divisions) and three times in the Big 8 from 1992-95.

Teams in the SEC and Big 12, generally considered the two best conferences, frequently miss top conference rivals. For example, Oklahoma doesn't play Nebraska or Kansas State this season. They benefit from the conference's pedigree without the annoying part of playing each other.

The other five BCS conferences also offer at least two pansies for their top teams to whip mercilessly. With Cal's unexpected resurgence, no Rutgers, Vanderbilts, Baylors, Indianas or Dukes are in the Pac-10.

Look at it this way: If Oregon lost Oct. 12 at UCLA, but rolled through its remaining schedule and finished 11-1, it's unlikely the Ducks would play for the national title.

In contrast, if No. 4 Tennessee loses this Saturday at home against No. 10 Florida, it could work its way back into the hunt, just as the loser from the Oct. 12 Oklahoma-Texas game probably wouldn't be out of the race.

While Pac-10 teams labor with arduous home stretches in November -- when defeats are most crushing -- Oklahoma plays Baylor, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State the final three weekends. Tennessee has Mississippi State, Vanderbilt and Kentucky. Both will be having coffee with those pastries.

The SEC and Big 12 get the benefit of the doubt from national pollsters, particularly with its annual homage of lofty preseason rankings. Heck, Colorado, ranked seventh in the preseason, is 1-2, lost by 37 points at home to USC and looks undisciplined and soft, but still is receiving votes in both polls.

Moreover, the SEC and Big 12 have title games at the end of the year that can provide a helpful boost in the national polls and, by extension, in the BCS system.

Winning the nation's toughest conference won't be enough for a Pac-10 team to earn a shot at the conference's first consensus national title since 1972.

It's going to require an 8-0 run through the conference league schedule, something that few figure will happen.

P-I reporter Ted Miller

Apr 25, 2002
of course this is from a washington based paper. because if it was from anywhere else it would of been speaking upon Oregon and not the huskies. lol. just wait Jessie. Nov 16. its on. you gonna try to go to the game? i know bammer is. Oregon playing Portland st. this week. We were suppose to play michigan, in michigan. but they backed out. aint that some shit. all the newschannels down here were clowning when they cancelled the game. pusies.

shadow

May 9, 2002
you think that b/c one article (probably from this area) is big on the pac-10 that i'm a believer now??

...Tennessee could beat ANY pac-10 team, and i have no doubt in my mind about that...

May 9, 2002
Purebred Hogg said:

Well i feel bad for you then pimp...you need mental help...yeah dat...
and why is that??..your all high on your pac-10 and the teams in the top 25..what you have in the top 10??...oregon??....SEC has 3 in the top 10....

..don't get all excited in the beginning of the year when you win a few games...that's how you know who has been all shitty....

...the SEC is good year in and year out..so i don't need to post articles to try and boost it's rep

BAMMER

Siccness Gray Hair
Apr 25, 2002
Auburn Wa
www.dawgman.com
I'm always givin it up to tha S.E.C.,but this year does'nt look too promising.

Florida is down a little defensively.
Georgia is way overated (again)
LSU got handled by Virginia Tech (who's better than people think)
Tennessee is solid,we'll see Saturday though,but I like Clausen(can he win a big game?)

May 10, 2002
SnikoDawg said:

and why is that??..your all high on your pac-10 and the teams in the top 25..what you have in the top 10??...oregon??....SEC has 3 in the top 10....

..don't get all excited in the beginning of the year when you win a few games...that's how you know who has been all shitty....

...the SEC is good year in and year out..so i don't need to post articles to try and boost it's rep
When was the last time any team from the SEC won a championship?Thank you...

And the Vols..are overrated...get over it...

May 10, 2002
OK...i didnt have time this morning to type out what i wanted,and now i do...

Sniko...bro...are you blind?Did you NOT read the article?Was it you said to me?

"Theres no team in the Pac-10 that can compete for the national title"

Now,if you would have READ the article..you would know why.

Ill break it down for you...

The reason being...the conference is such a tough one to play in,that no Pac-10 team can really go 11-0 0r even 10-1 cus every week theres realy no telling whos ginna win..even the bottle of the barrel can surprise you...ASU LOVES to spoil top Pac-10 teams...every team is a threat every week...

Who does the SEC got?Florida and Tennessee....thats it!!!No one else can really fuck with em in the conference...except MAYBE Georgia...and thats not sayin much.

So who has the toughest conference?THE PAC-10...its been said time and time again...even Terry fuckin Bowden on ESPN gameday halftime shows has said it...HMMMMM...

SO whats the conclusion?Yes,Tennessee has a good team.im not gonna deny that,and im glad you love em so much...but thats all your conference got..i dont think Florida can do what they did with Spurrier...without him...point blank...

YOU asked you got the best conference...team for team..the Pac-10 does..and its factual...learn about it...

May 9, 2002
Purebred Hogg said:

When was the last time any team from the SEC won a championship? THANK YOU
Tennessee -- 1998

Florida -- 1996

Alabama -- 1992

...u have..... Washington as a co-champ in 1991...then another co-champ in 1978 with USC......last sole champs....1972???

(please correct me if i'm wrong)

May 9, 2002
Purebred Hogg said:
OK...i didnt have time this morning to type out what i wanted,and now i do...

Sniko...bro...are you blind?Did you NOT read the article?Was it you said to me?

"Theres no team in the Pac-10 that can compete for the national title"

Now,if you would have READ the article..you would know why.

Ill break it down for you...

The reason being...the conference is such a tough one to play in,that no Pac-10 team can really go 11-0 0r even 10-1 cus every week theres realy no telling whos ginna win..even the bottle of the barrel can surprise you...ASU LOVES to spoil top Pac-10 teams...every team is a threat every week...

Who does the SEC got?Florida and Tennessee....thats it!!!No one else can really fuck with em in the conference...except MAYBE Georgia...and thats not sayin much.

So who has the toughest conference?THE PAC-10...its been said time and time again...even Terry fuckin Bowden on ESPN gameday halftime shows has said it...HMMMMM...

SO whats the conclusion?Yes,Tennessee has a good team.im not gonna deny that,and im glad you love em so much...but thats all your conference got..i dont think Florida can do what they did with Spurrier...without him...point blank...

YOU asked you got the best conference...team for team..the Pac-10 does..and its factual...learn about it...
ok..your not saying anything that doesn't also apply to the SEC

it's also hard for any SEC to go undefeated for the year....Florida was going good last year, then got tripped up by bama....

....Tennessee had a lock on the national title game last year after beating florida, then get upset by LSU

..the comment about..nobody can fuck with UT and UF in the conference..well, first, thanks for saying that about the Vols...but they have lost to UGA the past 2 years....

now..if you support the pac-10..i'm guessing you at least follow oregon...and how they got fucked out of a title game last year, and they should have got the title and all that shit....

...but you can make the same case for a team from another conference...maryland...came out of nowhere....win the ACC...(which, i know, isn't the best conference..but yes, they did win)....and had one loss..all that jazz....they were all high on them...then they play a florida team that lost twice...and got the shit entirely beat out of them....

fact is...is the pac-10 doing good right now 3 weeks into the season??..yes...but where were you last year..all your teams...and the year before..and since you wanted to talk about national titles.....where are yours??

May 10, 2002
SnikoDawg said:

and since you wanted to talk about national titles.....where are yours??
Please dont make me bring up the 92 incident with Miami...im so sick of having to explain it..everyone knows UW got ROYALY SCREWED out of a bein the lone champions...nuff said....

May 10, 2002
Heres every national champion since 1950

See how many times the Pac-10 had to share a title???

BOWL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

YEAR
SCHOOL
SELECTING ORGANIZATION
Miami
BCS

Oklahoma
BCS

Florida State
BCS

Tennessee
BCS

CONSENSUS POLL NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

YEAR
SCHOOL
SELECTING ORGANIZATION

Michigan
Nebraska
AP,FWAA,NFF,USA/ESPN

Florida
AP, FWAA, NFF,USA/CNN

Nebraska
AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI

Nebraska

Florida St.
AP, FWAA,NFF,USA/CNN, UPI

Alabama

Washington
Miami (Fla.)
FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI, AP

Colorado
Georgia Tech
FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, AP, UPI

Miami (Fla.)

Notre Dame

Miami (Fla.)

Penn St.

Oklahoma

Brigham Young

Miami (Fla.)

Penn St.

Clemson
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

Georgia
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

Alabama
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

Alabama
Southern California
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

Notre Dame
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

Pittsburg
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

Oklahoma
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

Southern California
Oklahoma
FWAA, NFF, UPI, AP

Notre Dame
Alabama
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

Southern California
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

Nebraska
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

Nebraska
Texas
Ohio St.
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI, NFF

Texas
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

Ohio St.
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

Southern California
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

Notre Dame
Michigan St.
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI, NFF

Michigan St.
Alabama
FWAA, NFF, UPI, AP, FWAA

Alabama
Arkansas
Notre Dame
AP, UPI, FWAA, NFF

Texas
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

Southern California
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

Alabama
Ohio St.
AP, NFF, UPI, FWAA

Minnesota
Mississippi
AP, NFF, UPI ,FWAA

Syracuse
AP, FWAA, NFF, UPI

LSU
Iowa
AP, UPI, FWAA

Ohio St.
Auburn
FWAA, UPI, AP

Oklahoma
AP, FWAA, UPI

Oklahoma
AP, FWAA, UPI

[color=sky blue]UCLA[/color]
Ohio St.
FWAA, UPI, AP

Maryland
AP, UPI

Michigan St.
AP, UPI

Tennessee
AP, UPI

Oklahoma
AP, UPI

So like I said...with such a strong conference...its hard to make to a national champion bowl game...what this chart doestn show is who was in the other 4 spots behind the champs rounding out the top 5 schools in the country that year...

Jun 25, 2002
Purebred Hogg said:
tha same argument can be made for the big10, duh...until there's a playoff no one is right so get over it

May 10, 2002
Grim said:
LMAO....I had to bring this thread back up..........how many teams did the Pac-10 finish with in the Top 25?????????????

Best Conference....get the fuck outta here
And the polls aint biased?Tell me how Florida State gotta BCS bowl??Exactly...the poll people have always been biased too east coast and southern conferences...

USC and WSU both in the Top 10...ESPN/USA Today,AP and the BCS...so what the fuck are YOU talkin about???Jack ass...